This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Minimum Power Consumption Housing

Design Parameters 

We need a fully wall and window insulated draught proof house but without any radiators at all.

The roof could be covered in solar panels as a way of charging the batteries in case grid power is unreliable.

If needed, cooking and heating can be on wood burning or gas appliances in the main living room.

As there is no heating upstairs the beds will have DC electric blankets and woollen bed cloths will keep us snug.

Dish washing and washing machines will probably need to become manual tasks; keeping us fit and agile 

In that electricity is difficult to generate economically will lead in future, to power sharing rotas

and we may expect to get grid supply only 4 hours per day mostly at night to charge batteries and heat water..

Expected battery power consumption per day could typically be 

Electronic broadband and TV etc [0.5kWh], electric blankets[0.5kWh], lighting [0.5kWh], 

Fridge {1.0kWh], Microwave Oven [2.0kWh]

Parents
  • Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I contemplated buying an Ego inverter that runs off their cordless power tool batteries, then changing the SFCU unit to a plug and socket so if there’s a power cut I can still fire the central heating up.

https://www.ronsmith.co.uk/ego-pad1500e-nexus-escape-150w-power-inverter.html

But my understanding is it won’t work because the flame failure device in my gas boiler completes its electrical circuit through earth and won’t run off that inverter.

So I need to rethink that plan.

We also have a bedroom over an integral single garage, so I looked at the price online of bags of loose fill insulation to put between the floor joists to insulate between the bedroom and unheated garage, that came in around £650 so I had better phone a couple of builders merchants to see if I can get a better price.

However I have just added a blind and a curtain to a window in our porch that’s never been covered, my wife said it’s a bit OTT having both on the same window, but at £35 for the blind plus another £35 for the curtain and £15 for the curtain track I’m sure that the investment of around £85 is a sound one that will soon save that the way things are going with fuel prices.  

• Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I contemplated buying an Ego inverter that runs off their cordless power tool batteries, then changing the SFCU unit to a plug and socket so if there’s a power cut I can still fire the central heating up.

https://www.ronsmith.co.uk/ego-pad1500e-nexus-escape-150w-power-inverter.html

But my understanding is it won’t work because the flame failure device in my gas boiler completes its electrical circuit through earth and won’t run off that inverter.

So I need to rethink that plan.

We also have a bedroom over an integral single garage, so I looked at the price online of bags of loose fill insulation to put between the floor joists to insulate between the bedroom and unheated garage, that came in around £650 so I had better phone a couple of builders merchants to see if I can get a better price.

However I have just added a blind and a curtain to a window in our porch that’s never been covered, my wife said it’s a bit OTT having both on the same window, but at £35 for the blind plus another £35 for the curtain and £15 for the curtain track I’m sure that the investment of around £85 is a sound one that will soon save that the way things are going with fuel prices.  

Children
  • We also have a bedroom over an integral single garage,

Yes, insulate the floor. I take it you have a wooden floor. You don't say what the m^2 is, but if I guess 20 m^2 then the rock wool needed doesn't come to anything near the price you quoted. 

I have an 80 m^3 room sitting over the cellar. When I had the floor insulated the difference in warmth retention was immediately noticeable, but I didn't measure it.

The most efficient winner overall is insulating between upper floors and roof space. Rule of thumb is 25% savings (that is what more elaborate calculations get, also, +/- a couple per cent). That is almost exactly what I saved in gas kWh's when I had it done.

The easy way is to clear out the roof space and just roll the rock wool out on the floor. That cost me well under €1000 for about 150 m^2 in January 2010 and it saved me that in gas costs that very year.  A couple of years ago, I had the floorboards removed and laid it between the joists, so I could use the roof space for storage again. Probably works just as well, but I don't have the gas bills for enough years yet to confirm that more precisely.