This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Neurodiversity support for engineers

At Foothold we're currently expanding the support we provide for neurodiverse engineers and their families in our community, so I'm curious to know:

What is your experience with neurodiversity in the engineering sector, and do you feel their is enough support available to help neurodiverse engineers thrive in their life and career?

Perhaps you've been diagnosed or believe you may be neurodivergent, you support someone who is, employ neurodiverse staff or you're simply interested in neurodiversity in engineering.

Whatever your thoughts and view are, I want to hear them!

Don't miss the chance to make your voice heard formally at our neurodiversity focus groups this week - register below:

https://www.myfoothold.org/join-neurodiversity-focus-groups/

Neurodiversity focus groups information

Parents
  • As I have said on here before I am somewhere along the Aspergers spectrum as are/were a number of my family members. Having a ‘Label’ does help to understand the differences from neurotypical people and also can help to understand the triggers that can escalate the problems.

I’m not sure how much help my employer could give if I said I was Apergers, but it allows me to better control my environment. I also have moderate tinnitus (due to a misspent youth with loud music and competition cars) which means that wearing headphones can be quite unpleasant. This was not much of a problem until online meetings became frequent due to Covid. My manager accepts that I need to go off and find a empty room somewhere as I am normally in a multi person office.

To raise this point yet again as an Aspi I find the current IET EngX difficult/disturbing as have several other members  some who have left the forum entirely. This is what I wrote at the time:

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/27903/does-the-iet-have-a-policy-guidelines-on-neurodiversity

• As I have said on here before I am somewhere along the Aspergers spectrum as are/were a number of my family members. Having a ‘Label’ does help to understand the differences from neurotypical people and also can help to understand the triggers that can escalate the problems.

I’m not sure how much help my employer could give if I said I was Apergers, but it allows me to better control my environment. I also have moderate tinnitus (due to a misspent youth with loud music and competition cars) which means that wearing headphones can be quite unpleasant. This was not much of a problem until online meetings became frequent due to Covid. My manager accepts that I need to go off and find a empty room somewhere as I am normally in a multi person office.

To raise this point yet again as an Aspi I find the current IET EngX difficult/disturbing as have several other members  some who have left the forum entirely. This is what I wrote at the time:

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/27903/does-the-iet-have-a-policy-guidelines-on-neurodiversity

Children
  • My manager accepts that I need to go off and find a empty room somewhere as I am normally in a multi person office.

For the purpose of this discussion, I am assuming that we are considering people with no intellectual deficit, which would be handled on its own merits.

The salient question is, "What have you done/what will you do with your diagnosis?"

Help with working in an open plan office may well be a perfectly reasonable adjustment. So that's one thing that one can do, but at the expense of coming out.

Another thing is to get help, or coaching if you like, with activities such as communication.

What I think is fraught with danger, is trying to be less autistic: that is stressful and being on the spectrum is already a risk factor for anxiety.