This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ECONOMIC WAY OF DISPOSING OF RUBBISH

At present recycling is different in most council areas and always seems to need to be reshuffled into several different commodity heaps on conveyor belts by human hands..

These heaps are then expensively compressing and reloaded onto other lorries for selling on to a purchaser who refines them again  into something more concentrated.

This is then has to be stockpiled before transporting to a final user and the rubbish left over taken by another lorry to the tip.

Well, that is a huge amount of handling and transporting that can be avoided if all the flammable material were burnt in an incinerator to produce electric power and heat.

Surely the government can direct councils to route all burnable rubbish including wood, paper, plastics, packaging etc, to a nearby moving grate power plant with stack scrubbers.   

A separate bin for tins, metals, and glass, tiles etc would still be needed and sorted but only about 10% instead of the 90% now.

Parents
  • Household recycling collections vary tremendously all over the country.

Here in Worcester we have a green recycling bin that takes dry recyclable waste all in together, it is then sorted by machinery and hand. We also have a grey waste bin that takes the waste that cannot be recycled which goes to the incinerator which produces dome electricity. Now, you have to remember that the waste going to the incinerator does actually need to be able to be burnt and needs some calorific value to be able to produce electric.

Over on the Isle of Man I believe all the waste goes to the power station, so they don’t really recycle anything that can be burnt because it is used for producing electricity rather than being transported off the island.

The maddest recycling schemes seem to be in the South West with kerbside sorting of the recycling, home owners put out multiple containers with all the recyclable waste already divided, then a big lorry pulls up either multiple compartments and a team of operatives place the contents of the multiple containers into the multiple compartments. It creates mayhem on the roads, particularly at school traffic time, I was driving across Exmoor with my wife, we got stuck in a village bin the queue behind one  of the recycling lorries in a village and pulled into a pub car park to go for a coffee in the pub, when we came out half a hour later and caught up with the queue further down the village the same cars were still behind it.

As far as I can see the is not a UK policy stating what should be done and how, every Council just seem to do it’s own thing as they see fit.

• Household recycling collections vary tremendously all over the country.

Here in Worcester we have a green recycling bin that takes dry recyclable waste all in together, it is then sorted by machinery and hand. We also have a grey waste bin that takes the waste that cannot be recycled which goes to the incinerator which produces dome electricity. Now, you have to remember that the waste going to the incinerator does actually need to be able to be burnt and needs some calorific value to be able to produce electric.

Over on the Isle of Man I believe all the waste goes to the power station, so they don’t really recycle anything that can be burnt because it is used for producing electricity rather than being transported off the island.

The maddest recycling schemes seem to be in the South West with kerbside sorting of the recycling, home owners put out multiple containers with all the recyclable waste already divided, then a big lorry pulls up either multiple compartments and a team of operatives place the contents of the multiple containers into the multiple compartments. It creates mayhem on the roads, particularly at school traffic time, I was driving across Exmoor with my wife, we got stuck in a village bin the queue behind one  of the recycling lorries in a village and pulled into a pub car park to go for a coffee in the pub, when we came out half a hour later and caught up with the queue further down the village the same cars were still behind it.

As far as I can see the is not a UK policy stating what should be done and how, every Council just seem to do it’s own thing as they see fit.

Children
No Data