This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Software support for legacy EV chargers.

The EVSE manufacturer Andersen have gone into administration, what software support is there for customers who have Andersen EV chargers?

How long will their chargers work for?

https://andersen-ev.com/

Parents
  • A couple of weeks ago I pulled off the motorway at Solihull to go to the Apple Store to buy a new IPad, because my old one had updated to IOS 12.5.6 and stopped at that, but I couldn’t use the Santander Banking app because it needs a minimum of IOS 14.0 and other banking apps from Lloyds were starting to lose functionality.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled off the motorway and went to my Currys store to buy a Roku TV streaming device to plug into our Panasonic Smart TV which no longer has support for the ITV Hub, so is losing its Smart capabilities.

I suspect that a Smart EV charger has a life expectancy of less than ten years, without software support I do wonder if some of the Andersen chargers will still be usable next year.

Now, yesterday whilst I was driving up the motorway I was listening to this weeks Fix Radio Electrical Show on catchup, streaming from my mobile phone via Bluetooth to the ten year old radio in my van.

www.fixradio.co.uk/.../

The discussion was the second part of a discussion with a guy from Schneider about Electricity 4.0 as they have tagged it (I would say four point zero, not four point ooooooh!) with everything electrical being controlled by a chip and software. 

https://youtu.be/n3LR7d-h4BU

We seem to be going through what could be a seismic change, with current digital tech becoming obsolete and unusable, whilst being encouraged to move to even more reliance on digital tech with even equipment such as a simple circuit breaker now being being made with a chip to control it and a reliance on firmware. Yes, you can remotely interrogate them to check on their performance and that of the installation, but is it truly sustainable in the long term, how will these devices be fit for purpose for?

Interestingly,  in my local Currys there were only five cameras on a very boring display, I presume that most people are now using Smart phones for photography and videos, but they also had five turntables for playing vinyl records.

Going back to the Andersen EV chargers, assuming the circuit supplying them has been installed correctly, it should be a straightforward job to swap the charger unit for one from a different manufacturer if needs be, but second time around customers are going to be a bit wary when it comes to choosing a replacement.

• A couple of weeks ago I pulled off the motorway at Solihull to go to the Apple Store to buy a new IPad, because my old one had updated to IOS 12.5.6 and stopped at that, but I couldn’t use the Santander Banking app because it needs a minimum of IOS 14.0 and other banking apps from Lloyds were starting to lose functionality.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled off the motorway and went to my Currys store to buy a Roku TV streaming device to plug into our Panasonic Smart TV which no longer has support for the ITV Hub, so is losing its Smart capabilities.

I suspect that a Smart EV charger has a life expectancy of less than ten years, without software support I do wonder if some of the Andersen chargers will still be usable next year.

Now, yesterday whilst I was driving up the motorway I was listening to this weeks Fix Radio Electrical Show on catchup, streaming from my mobile phone via Bluetooth to the ten year old radio in my van.

www.fixradio.co.uk/.../

The discussion was the second part of a discussion with a guy from Schneider about Electricity 4.0 as they have tagged it (I would say four point zero, not four point ooooooh!) with everything electrical being controlled by a chip and software. 

https://youtu.be/n3LR7d-h4BU

We seem to be going through what could be a seismic change, with current digital tech becoming obsolete and unusable, whilst being encouraged to move to even more reliance on digital tech with even equipment such as a simple circuit breaker now being being made with a chip to control it and a reliance on firmware. Yes, you can remotely interrogate them to check on their performance and that of the installation, but is it truly sustainable in the long term, how will these devices be fit for purpose for?

Interestingly,  in my local Currys there were only five cameras on a very boring display, I presume that most people are now using Smart phones for photography and videos, but they also had five turntables for playing vinyl records.

Going back to the Andersen EV chargers, assuming the circuit supplying them has been installed correctly, it should be a straightforward job to swap the charger unit for one from a different manufacturer if needs be, but second time around customers are going to be a bit wary when it comes to choosing a replacement.

Children
No Data