This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

PIR-controlled LED Flood-lights

I want to canvass LED luminaire manufacturers to the problem that their PIR-controlled LED flood-lights might not be illuminating building exteriors correctly, but instead could lead to unsafe and unlit areas. I am referring to manufacturers’ totally sealing PIR-controlled LED flood-lights with no access to its internal PIR switched-live. Let me explain, as follows: 

Traditionally, as an electrical engineer, I have always specified areas where multiple security flood-lights are required to be cabled with 3core & earth cable, where the additional core is used as a PIR switched-live to bring on all flood-lights together in a group. This is only possible if the PIR switched-live is accessible outside the flood-light, which of course it is on traditional halogen luminaires, but not on LED luminaires, which only have a 3core flex with no way to open the luminaire. 

Of course, there are other alternatives, such as separate PIRs but additional cost implications make this option expensive, particularly on long pathways around the perimeter of large buildings. Also, multiple exit doors would result in multiple separate PIRs with yet more expense. 

Simply, if manufacturers brought out a 4core flex, (live, neutral, earth & PIR switched-live, it gives electricians both options of each flood-light illuminating separately ignoring the additional PIR switched-live or bringing them all on together by connecting all grouped PIR switched-lives together. Whenever a single PIR triggers, it puts a live feed onto the additional core, which in turn puts a live feed onto the additional core bringing on all flood-lights connected to it.

Perhaps manufacturers reading this article will consider my proposals and alter their designs if found appropriate. Thank you.

Parents
  • I too prefer separate PIRs - simply because generally PIRs have to be mounted relatively low and pointing roughly horizontal for best performance (as high up they see only the tops of people's heads and so can be defeated by hats and winter clothing) - whereas floodlights (whether LED or otherwise) are generally better mounted high and pointing down to avoid dazzle and give a decent even spread of light.

I guess one way of persuading manufacturers to stop producing rubbish designs is not to buy them - although the all-in-one-easy-to-wire-as-a-13A-plug option will likely continue to appeal to the DIY market regardless of the technical merits otherwise.

- Andy.

• I too prefer separate PIRs - simply because generally PIRs have to be mounted relatively low and pointing roughly horizontal for best performance (as high up they see only the tops of people's heads and so can be defeated by hats and winter clothing) - whereas floodlights (whether LED or otherwise) are generally better mounted high and pointing down to avoid dazzle and give a decent even spread of light.

I guess one way of persuading manufacturers to stop producing rubbish designs is not to buy them - although the all-in-one-easy-to-wire-as-a-13A-plug option will likely continue to appeal to the DIY market regardless of the technical merits otherwise.

- Andy.

Children
No Data