This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How could I measure DC leakage current of a particular piece of equipment?

I need to ensure we have the correct type of RCD, protecting the weird and wonderful equipment in our labs.

Is their a way to measure exactly how much DC leakage a piece of equipment will leak whilst in operation.

Some of the laboratories have single phase consumer units with an RCD main switch supplying multiple radials out to socket outlets, into which various pieces of kit are plugged in. 

My concern is, that without knowing how much DC the equipment is leaking, how can I determine if the correct RCD has been installed.

Ideally, I would have the Main Switch changed to a regular type and the MCBs changed for RCBOs, but before that happens, I just need to satisfy myself that the RCD installed is actually performing its function.

Thanks you for any help in advance. 

Parents
  • Do wou want a box to test equipment with or a thing that sits in the dis board and raises an alerm if the current is too high ?

Or do you just want to check that the RCD  is still responding to AC faults and not blinded.

For things that can be unplugged a trick 'extension lead' with a plug and a socket and a meter that measures DC mA in series with the green and yellow core is probably the easiest.

To monitor DC it is possible to build non-invasive things to clip on the wiring based on hall effect current sensors that look like current transformers but go down to DC , but quite a bit of electronics knowledge is needed to do that .

To verify the RCD is not blinded you just need to introduce an AC fault, and see if it trips to order.

Mike

• Do wou want a box to test equipment with or a thing that sits in the dis board and raises an alerm if the current is too high ?

Or do you just want to check that the RCD  is still responding to AC faults and not blinded.

For things that can be unplugged a trick 'extension lead' with a plug and a socket and a meter that measures DC mA in series with the green and yellow core is probably the easiest.

To monitor DC it is possible to build non-invasive things to clip on the wiring based on hall effect current sensors that look like current transformers but go down to DC , but quite a bit of electronics knowledge is needed to do that .

To verify the RCD is not blinded you just need to introduce an AC fault, and see if it trips to order.

Mike

Children
No Data