This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How could I measure DC leakage current of a particular piece of equipment?

I need to ensure we have the correct type of RCD, protecting the weird and wonderful equipment in our labs.

Is their a way to measure exactly how much DC leakage a piece of equipment will leak whilst in operation.

Some of the laboratories have single phase consumer units with an RCD main switch supplying multiple radials out to socket outlets, into which various pieces of kit are plugged in. 

My concern is, that without knowing how much DC the equipment is leaking, how can I determine if the correct RCD has been installed.

Ideally, I would have the Main Switch changed to a regular type and the MCBs changed for RCBOs, but before that happens, I just need to satisfy myself that the RCD installed is actually performing its function.

Thanks you for any help in advance. 

Parents
  • The issue for RCDs is not simply "DC leakage current" but DC components in currents flowing during a residual current fault (such as an earth fault).

For this reason, measuring quiescent DC leakage current alone is not sufficient to determine the RCD Type that ought to be selected.

See the section 'Possible fault currents in systems with semiconductors' and Table A53.1 on pages 194 and 195 of BS 7671:2018+A2:2022

• The issue for RCDs is not simply "DC leakage current" but DC components in currents flowing during a residual current fault (such as an earth fault).

For this reason, measuring quiescent DC leakage current alone is not sufficient to determine the RCD Type that ought to be selected.

See the section 'Possible fault currents in systems with semiconductors' and Table A53.1 on pages 194 and 195 of BS 7671:2018+A2:2022

Children
  • I ought to have added, that this is important, because whilst in some installations RCDs are only provided for additional protection, in other installations (for example, TT earthing arrangements, or where overcurrent protective devices can't operate quickly enough), RCDs are used to achieve automatic disconnection for protection against electric shock.