This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How could I measure DC leakage current of a particular piece of equipment?

I need to ensure we have the correct type of RCD, protecting the weird and wonderful equipment in our labs.

Is their a way to measure exactly how much DC leakage a piece of equipment will leak whilst in operation.

Some of the laboratories have single phase consumer units with an RCD main switch supplying multiple radials out to socket outlets, into which various pieces of kit are plugged in. 

My concern is, that without knowing how much DC the equipment is leaking, how can I determine if the correct RCD has been installed.

Ideally, I would have the Main Switch changed to a regular type and the MCBs changed for RCBOs, but before that happens, I just need to satisfy myself that the RCD installed is actually performing its function.

Thanks you for any help in advance. 

Parents
  • The problem with your question is that there can never be a definitive answer! There is also a problem that the various makes of RCD are not identical in performance, and that the specifications of the types are OK as they stand as worst case examples, but the possible worst case is unlikely in any installation. The pages of BS7671 referenced by Graham K above contain huge assumptions, but these are not considered in the text.

I will ask a couple of questions and you can consider the answers:

Are your RCDs for "ADDITIONAL PROTECTION", this would be the normal case in a lab?

Do they get tripped often, or essentially never?

Do staff work on live exposed mains connected equipment, or are the items enclosed in protection against direct contact?

If the equipment has commercial power supplies fitted, how could direct contact actually happen?

Are your staff properly trained to work under possible direct contact conditions?

Is the equipment controlled under a calibration / inspection cycle, making faults very unlikely, and has any equipment ever been found mains faulty?

I suggest that the training question is the most important, it is probably much more so than the questions about the other things which have easy answers. It may be answered by a procedure document for working on live equipment. Just a note, I have worked on high powered transmitting equipment. Mains is much the least danger to such work, and an RCD would make zero difference! 100kV DC or 500 kW of RF is quite dangerous enough.

• The problem with your question is that there can never be a definitive answer! There is also a problem that the various makes of RCD are not identical in performance, and that the specifications of the types are OK as they stand as worst case examples, but the possible worst case is unlikely in any installation. The pages of BS7671 referenced by Graham K above contain huge assumptions, but these are not considered in the text.

I will ask a couple of questions and you can consider the answers:

Are your RCDs for "ADDITIONAL PROTECTION", this would be the normal case in a lab?

Do they get tripped often, or essentially never?

Do staff work on live exposed mains connected equipment, or are the items enclosed in protection against direct contact?

If the equipment has commercial power supplies fitted, how could direct contact actually happen?

Are your staff properly trained to work under possible direct contact conditions?

Is the equipment controlled under a calibration / inspection cycle, making faults very unlikely, and has any equipment ever been found mains faulty?

I suggest that the training question is the most important, it is probably much more so than the questions about the other things which have easy answers. It may be answered by a procedure document for working on live equipment. Just a note, I have worked on high powered transmitting equipment. Mains is much the least danger to such work, and an RCD would make zero difference! 100kV DC or 500 kW of RF is quite dangerous enough.

Children
No Data