LV Arc Flash requirement in the UK

Hi All,

I am interested in your thoughts with respects to Arc Flash with the undertaking of surveys on LV distributions systems in the UK. 

I have visited the states looking at various factories and electrical systems.  ARC flash awareness is  generally on the agenda or in place, with respects to assessments done, with labels applied stating incident energy levels on specific distribution switches stating PPE needs for a specific application based on potential fault level.

I have also looked at electrical installations generally in the USA and I can confidently say we are in a better place in the UK from a Rigour perspective of insulation, separation and barriers.

Also, speaking with various colleagues for the UK , Arc Flash is not mandated/law.  However, more cases are been investigated generally by the HSE, so one could say there have been issues.

With the distribution form factors (barriers and separation) we have and also introducing an isolation policy before interaction so circuits are dead before works progress, is there still a need for Arc Flash surveys. I guess one could say when proofing for dead there is a risk in the event of isolation failure..

Thoughts please. ?

Many thanks. 

Parents
  • I used to work for an American company in the UK which tried to push arc flash protection in the plant. Having compared European control cabinets to American ones I considered the arc flash risk to be very low. IP2X with an open door covers most eventualities. The American designs with open busbars and terminals had a much higher risk of arc flash (and electrocution) to a point where I considered live testing not to be appropriate and installed external test points for the common measurements.

There is also quite a small window where arc flash PPE is useful. At very high energies you are going to get burnt anyway and even in the defined energy range you will just get survivable burns.

Arc flash is best dealt with at source by good design.

• I used to work for an American company in the UK which tried to push arc flash protection in the plant. Having compared European control cabinets to American ones I considered the arc flash risk to be very low. IP2X with an open door covers most eventualities. The American designs with open busbars and terminals had a much higher risk of arc flash (and electrocution) to a point where I considered live testing not to be appropriate and installed external test points for the common measurements.

There is also quite a small window where arc flash PPE is useful. At very high energies you are going to get burnt anyway and even in the defined energy range you will just get survivable burns.

Arc flash is best dealt with at source by good design.

Children