This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Friday funny..

Parents
  • A couple of thoughts after reading the article;

There is black body radiation to consider too.

Also Venus is an example of runaway greenhouse effect, with temperatures (hot enough to melt lead) at the poles and equator pretty much equal.

• If the black body you refer to is space itself then I'd expect all heat goes to cold so whatever Heat Venus has eventually leaches that way.

No one has been to Venus to assess its atmosphere. There is very little understanding of our own atmosphere. As is clear form the differing views.

• If the black body you refer to is space itself then I'd expect all heat goes to cold so whatever Heat Venus has eventually leaches that way.

No one has been to Venus to assess its atmosphere. There is very little understanding of our own atmosphere. As is clear form the differing views.

Children
  • A few space probes have been there.  They didn't last very long, 2 hours tops, as the temperature on the surface is fierce.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/venus/in-depth/

• There's an interesting article here, it relates to flat earth theories but as the author says, the same thought process is required with climate change deniers (or anti-vaxers, or creationists, etc etc)

https://physicsworld.com/a/fighting-flat-earth-theory/

So taking your link (which I'd also thought of posting for the same reason), once someone's decided that all institutions are in on this conspiracy then they can refute it by simply saying the evidence is faked or twisted, because NASA are under the control of the UN who in turn are under the control of Greta Thunberg or something equally bonkers. 

It's real problem. The quote I was actually looking for (but couldn't find) when I stumbled upon this article was from a physicist saying something like "20 years ago we were discussing solutions to climate change. Now we have to spend our time explaining that no, the earth isn't flat". And as the article says isn't through lack of knowledge, it's the complete mistrust of "experts". Rather challenging for a society which only exists as it does and survives through scientific and other expertise.

Oh dear, sorry that's a bit of downer for the end of the week! On the bright side COP27 is still happening.

• Fierce as hell. When the day lasts longer than the year there is no even heating for Venus. 

• I'm also looking forward to COP27 virtue signalling debacle. Where the rich elite will swan around after jetting in to Sham el shake dictating that the end of the world is nigh. Please give us all your money. For starters Rishi needs to pay the £300 million outstanding from the climate finance payment. No wonder he didn't want to attend.

Anyway we'll see the so called IPCC flawed climate model/settled science nonsense continue.

And if that's not interesting enough, the US mid terms are next week too.

Happy days..

• Watch this kick ass interview Andy

wattsupwiththat.com/.../