This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cable overloads and fusing factors

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering whether anyone knew / could point in the right direction of the information of small overloads and how it affects the temperature of cables.

When reading bs7671, according to 433.1.201 as long as the OCPD is one listed in the reg, eg. 60898 MCB’s, 61009 RCBO’s BS88 Fuses etc the cable automatically complies with I2 < 1.45 Iz if you follow In < Iz and the cable will not reach too high of a temperature during the overload period.

Things start to get a bit confusing when looking up the actual value of i2 and the conventional fusing time of all of the OCPD mentioned in 433.1.201 as not all of them have an I2 of 1.45, only the 60898 MCB’s do and even then, if they have an In > 63 the fusing time is then 2 hours rather than 1 hour for In < 63

then looking at BS 88-2 and BS 88-3 they have an I2 value of 1.6 and can also take up to 4 hours at the larger size of fuse (In > 400) to disconnect the circuit. I’m not sure how all of these different OCPD can protect the cable to the same degree with the different characteristics published in the electrical installation design guide.

you then have BS3036 fuse which has an I2 of 2, and a fusing time of 2 hours. When using this fuse looking at regulation 433.1.202 we have to apply the Cf of 0.725 to adjust from the 2 to the 1.45 to allow for larger currents being sustained during the overload period when using this type of fuse. However we don’t have to make adjustment for the BS88 fuse that takes 1.6 instead of 1.45 which would be a Cf of 0.9. Also the fact that they can take 4 hours rather than 2 to disconnect the circuit which could cause more heat to build up on the cable.

sorry it’s a bit long winded and I know I must be missing something here, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers.

Parents
  • One other way to think about this is to step back and consider the cable as a heated cylinder - the heating comes from the resistive dissipation - so I2R Where the first I and the R give the voltage drop, and the second one gives you heating in watts. The cooling is proportional to the surface area available to lose heat though,  and what that in turn is surrounded by.

So as surface area rises more or less as the diameter, but cross-sectional area, and therefore 1/ resistance) rises as the square of diameter, we see that the amps per square mm obey something close to a 1/r sort of rule. - a cable of half the cross sectional area  has twice the resistance but 70% of the area to sweat heat off through. So it can carry rather more than half of  the current. However, as soon as you bundle cables together all of this goes out of the window, as the idea of being able to lose heat all the way round is lost, as there will be heating from one side and cooling from another.

The same thinking allows yo uto estimate the extra temperature rise from an overload, and to see if it is catastrophic - insulation at well over 100C,  or just life limiting.
    A few years ago now the IET did a publication looking at cable lifespan versus temperatures  by accelerated life testing (i.e running cables too hot to make them age faster)  and that showed that the occasional flight up to 100C does very little to PVC, but doing it for months at a time is not wise. It was a bit more scientific than that and used the Arrhenius Equation to show that above a certain point life span halved with every 8-10 degree rise. I suspect a copy is on-line but if not I will see if I can find it at home this evening.

Mike

• One other way to think about this is to step back and consider the cable as a heated cylinder - the heating comes from the resistive dissipation - so I2R Where the first I and the R give the voltage drop, and the second one gives you heating in watts. The cooling is proportional to the surface area available to lose heat though,  and what that in turn is surrounded by.

So as surface area rises more or less as the diameter, but cross-sectional area, and therefore 1/ resistance) rises as the square of diameter, we see that the amps per square mm obey something close to a 1/r sort of rule. - a cable of half the cross sectional area  has twice the resistance but 70% of the area to sweat heat off through. So it can carry rather more than half of  the current. However, as soon as you bundle cables together all of this goes out of the window, as the idea of being able to lose heat all the way round is lost, as there will be heating from one side and cooling from another.

The same thinking allows yo uto estimate the extra temperature rise from an overload, and to see if it is catastrophic - insulation at well over 100C,  or just life limiting.
    A few years ago now the IET did a publication looking at cable lifespan versus temperatures  by accelerated life testing (i.e running cables too hot to make them age faster)  and that showed that the occasional flight up to 100C does very little to PVC, but doing it for months at a time is not wise. It was a bit more scientific than that and used the Arrhenius Equation to show that above a certain point life span halved with every 8-10 degree rise. I suspect a copy is on-line but if not I will see if I can find it at home this evening.

Mike

Children
No Data