This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What's your experience of being, or supporting, a neurodiverse engineer?

With the launch of Foothold's new Engineering Neurodiverse Futures programme, we want to build a world where every aspiring and established engineer has the opportunity to make the most of their unique capabilities, and reach their full potential.

We know that there are a significant number of people in our community who are or believe they may be neurodivergent - living with a condition such as autism, ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia. In fact, it's estimated that there are around 820,000 neurodiverse engineers working in the industry in the UK alone. Perhaps you're one of them, or you know someone who is?

But sadly, there are many barriers that neurodiverse engineers encounter every day, which may prevent them from taking opportunities that neurotypical people take for granted. 

There can be challenges for neurotypical people too, in knowing how best to support, work and communicate with neurodivergent peers - so that everyone can thrive in their own way.

We've developed our brand-new Differently Wired Hub for the engineering community to help address some of these challenges. But we want to know: what's your experience of being, or supporting, a neurodiverse engineer?

Let's start the neurodiversity in engineering conversation so we can raise awareness of the challenges faced by our community - and recognise, appreciate and celebrate the contributions that every one of our community members makes to the industry, whether neurodivergent or neurotypical!

Share your experiences and stories with us below Point down

You can find out more and join our Differently Wired Hub here.

Parents
  • Ah well, I'm not going to deliberately put things  on the forum that identify people places or events., but yes having users, either real ones, or dummy ones who you ask to  press the buttons in the wrong order, switch kit off by unplugging it suddenly or drop the small non captive parts into the long grass at A model or design review saves  a lot of expense later. It is cheaper to fix stuff on the drawings than it  is to modify it in production, than it is to do a recall after there are problems in service.
    In that sense my inability to follow instructions in any given sequence more than a few times before boredom means I do not, is a very useful debugging skill. (' how do we get back from here ? How on earth did you get it into this state? I almost followed the instructions but I was thinking of something else ...)

I also think that part of any would be engineer's education should include some sort of field work, of the kind where it all goes horribly wrong. The reason I walk into meetings with pockets full of useful stuff like I'm about to do a Paul Daniels magic trick comes from lessons learnt  walking back the full length of the airtstrip to get a pen, or climbing back down something tall to get a pair of pliers or a cable tie or something. Designing assuming a single track to success is easy, planning to gracefully handle all the alternatives is generally not.

Actually my 'neurotypical' jibe also can be applied to some managerial types as well as the users !

And yes, almost nothing can be fixed in the manual, except perhaps liability, and even then only to a limited extent.

Mike

• Ah well, I'm not going to deliberately put things  on the forum that identify people places or events., but yes having users, either real ones, or dummy ones who you ask to  press the buttons in the wrong order, switch kit off by unplugging it suddenly or drop the small non captive parts into the long grass at A model or design review saves  a lot of expense later. It is cheaper to fix stuff on the drawings than it  is to modify it in production, than it is to do a recall after there are problems in service.
    In that sense my inability to follow instructions in any given sequence more than a few times before boredom means I do not, is a very useful debugging skill. (' how do we get back from here ? How on earth did you get it into this state? I almost followed the instructions but I was thinking of something else ...)

I also think that part of any would be engineer's education should include some sort of field work, of the kind where it all goes horribly wrong. The reason I walk into meetings with pockets full of useful stuff like I'm about to do a Paul Daniels magic trick comes from lessons learnt  walking back the full length of the airtstrip to get a pen, or climbing back down something tall to get a pair of pliers or a cable tie or something. Designing assuming a single track to success is easy, planning to gracefully handle all the alternatives is generally not.

Actually my 'neurotypical' jibe also can be applied to some managerial types as well as the users !

And yes, almost nothing can be fixed in the manual, except perhaps liability, and even then only to a limited extent.

Mike

Children
No Data