This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Not quite blackouts or emergency lighting but interesting alternative perhaps

Sort of related to other posts about power cuts but not quite,

I recently have had my attention drawn to the 'Blackout bulb' A normal looking LED lamp for a Bayonet or ES holder, but with a battery inside. When mains is present it lights normally and charges the internal battery. If mains is cut and the bulb 'sees' a  high impedance, such as a normal light switch, then it goes off. So far so good, now the clever part..

If the supply fails, but there is a low enough resistance between the terminals, such as in a power cut, when other loads will be in parallel, then the light comes on using the internal battery (*). Claims to run for up to 3 hours.

I can see a use for these to retrofit for  landing lights and similar places where an EM fitting may  not be that convenient.

Has anyone else used them  yet ?

Would anyone dare suggest they could replace normal EM fittings ?

Mike.

(*) a moist finger is enough to get it started and you can use it as a hand held lantern

Parents
  • Humm - interesting idea. Presumably less useful where you have several lamps on the one switch though.

I wonder if long switch drops might fool it too (shared of the low energy lamp flicker when off problem), if it uses a.c. for sensing. Or the effect on RCDs if it uses d.c.

- Andy.

• Humm - interesting idea. Presumably less useful where you have several lamps on the one switch though.

I wonder if long switch drops might fool it too (shared of the low energy lamp flicker when off problem), if it uses a.c. for sensing. Or the effect on RCDs if it uses d.c.

- Andy.

Children
No Data