This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What do you think to these neurodiversity in engineering statistics?

What do you think to these neurodiversity stats? Point up 2

Research has shown a greater incidence of neurodiversity amongst engineers, but it's shocking that so many are being held back from achieving their potential, or feel like they can't be their full selves.

With this in mind, we're interested in knowing:

1) If you're a neurodivergent engineer, what more do you think could be done to raise awareness of neurodiversity in engineering, so that neurodiverse people can be empowered to reach their full potential?

2) If you know or support someone who is neurodivergent, what support do you feel could be put in place so that you could understand how best to help them thrive?

Remember, our Differently Wired Hub is now live as part of our new Engineering Neurodiverse Futures programme.

It's a free online resource for neurodiverse people and those who support them, with expert content on neurodiverse conditions, how to offer support, and how to get a diagnosis. 

Find out more and join the hub here Arrow down

https://www.myfoothold.org/engineering-neurodiverse-futures/

Let us know your answer to our questions in the comments below!

• I think those statistics apply to many of those I know, and me too. If the names were like they are today I would certainly have been called dyslexic, whether this would have helped me is much less clear. The unfortunate thing is that the neurodiverse are close to ridiculed by others, because they do not fit the narrative or the preconceived views. This is fairly unpleasant and probably similar to other groups who are slightly "different", although it is not recognised at all, particularly by the HR brigade.

• I'm not sure what the bottom right box is really trying to say.

It seems to be saying that once somebody has left school, you should not test them for autism, because a positive test would leave them with mental health problems.

• Add in "because you missed a diagnosis when you were under the age of 21". It's late diagnosis that's the problem, but that's still better than no diagnosis.

• I'm always really suspicious of  "up to xxx%" claims - it just feels so meaningless at best and deliberately misleading at worst. You could label a bag of sugar "up to 100% sugar free" and not be incorrect.

- Andy.

• I'm not sure what the bottom right box is really trying to say.

Simon's interpretation is at least logical.

One might ask 3 x more likely than which group, but I take it to mean that a diagnosis after 21 leads to 3 x the frequency of mental health problems compared with an earlier diagnosis. However, that does assume that effective interventions have been put in place following childhood diagnosis, which does not necessarily follow.

In any event, being autistic is a risk factor for common mental health problems such as anxiety or depression.

(I would be surprised if the diagnosis changed the risk of severe mental health conditions such as psychosis.)