This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Warming up the car?

I read an article via E&T magazine the other day about the carbon cost of 'warming up the car' on winter mornings before driving off and wondered how many people still do such a thing? 

I remember in the 1970's some of our neighbours would always have their car idling for a while and vaguely remember them saying something about getting the oil circulating around the engine first before driving off. But as far as I'm aware, there is absolutely no need to do that nowadays with modern cars, if it was ever needed before anyway! The manual of my own car specifically states that it should not be started and left in an idling state but should be driven as soon as the engine is on.

Warming up the interior of my own car on a winter's morning consists of me making sure the heated seat is on (which can be felt around 2 minutes into the journey Relieved) although one thing I struggle with on occasion is de-misting the windscreen which can take longer. However I bought myself a telescopic handled de-mister pad that I wipe over the inside before I switch on the ignition.

Out of interest is it (or was it ever) necessary to idle a car before driving off? Were my 1970's neighbours correct? Thinking 

any tips from the experts in the Automotive and road transport systems Network? 

Parents
  • I am told that oil pumps in modern engines raise the pressure almost instantaneously, but they took a little while in old cars. Compared with the past, modern engine oils are very thin so they will circulate more readily too.

Occasionally in winter, I have to wait for the screen to demist too. Quite why Ford has kept heated front screens to itself is a mystery, but they are superb.

This is what the instruction book for my 1931 R-R says.

The engine should be allowed to run for a few minutes before taking the car on the road, during which it should be noticed that the oil pressure is registering between 20 to 30 lbs. The car should not be driven hard, however, until the water temperature has reached 60° C.

In fact the oil which I use (10 - 60W) takes only about 20 sec to reach full pressure. In practice, by the time that I have got the car out of the garage, closed the garage doors, driven into the road, and closed the gates, enough time has elapsed to be able to set off straightaway.

• I am told that oil pumps in modern engines raise the pressure almost instantaneously, but they took a little while in old cars. Compared with the past, modern engine oils are very thin so they will circulate more readily too.

Occasionally in winter, I have to wait for the screen to demist too. Quite why Ford has kept heated front screens to itself is a mystery, but they are superb.

This is what the instruction book for my 1931 R-R says.

The engine should be allowed to run for a few minutes before taking the car on the road, during which it should be noticed that the oil pressure is registering between 20 to 30 lbs. The car should not be driven hard, however, until the water temperature has reached 60° C.

In fact the oil which I use (10 - 60W) takes only about 20 sec to reach full pressure. In practice, by the time that I have got the car out of the garage, closed the garage doors, driven into the road, and closed the gates, enough time has elapsed to be able to set off straightaway.

Children
  • Quite why Ford has kept heated front screens to itself is a mystery, but they are superb.

Agree Chris. My wife was gutted to learn she couldn't have heated front screens, having had them for years on various Fiestas.

Imagine the future though, you see the weather outside, click on your phone, the car heats up while you sip your morning coffee and then you climb into a lovely warm, defrosted car ready to go. Oh sorry, no that's today for some ;-)

• Quite why Ford has kept heated front screens to itself is a mystery, but they are superb.

My other half has a Ford van with a heated front windscreen and as you say Chris, it is superb. I do find it a bit weird as from time to time my eyes will focus on the thin wires sandwiched between the glass, especially in the summer if the light is in the right direction. Not while I'm driving though I hasten to add! 

• The guy who was my Best Man when I married my wife was a tool maker at Triplex in Kings Norton and was involved in making the very early heated windscreens around forty years ago, the heated back windows were and still are simple to make because people will accept thick lines in them, thick lines in front  screens are a different matter, people will not accept thick lines in them hence thin crinkled elements closer together are required.

He managed to arrange for a factory tour for us, his dad being a senior manager helped, they were making the Triplex 10-20 glass for the Austin Princess cars, a special safety glass that could not be moved in the manufacturing process until it cooled, so rather than moving the glass through a furnace they moved the furnace over the glass.

The development of the glass led to the development of cars to showpiece it.

www.aronline.co.uk/.../

•  Wow that's really interesting sparkingchip and thank you for sharing.

Also thank you for the trip down memory lane with the old Princess cars Blush I remember my younger brother being absolutely OBSESSED with the Austin Princess and would always squeal with delight every time he saw one on the road.

Now nothing less than a Porsche will make him do that... Joy