Relay logic simulation

Hi all,

We've been asked to design a number of control / protection schemes lately which are increasing in complexity. Can anyone point us towards a simple software tool to model the relay logic we can use to sense-check the design (after a manual check of course) and highlight any faux pas before things get built? Really just to look at checking relays in series/parallel etc are doing the right thing, not a full-on circuit emulation, i.e., with these inputs changing to this state, we get these outputs live with that happening after the programmed delay and so on.

In an ideal world it would be able to read a design straight out of our CAD (ACE), but I suspect that's too much to ask!

Ta,

Jam

Parents
  • At least it's not just me! (c:

I've been thinking about coding something as a toy project but a) That simply puts it nth on the list of Things To Do When I've Spare Time and b) It needs to be rigorous so it'd need to catch all sorts of sillies, and not-so-sillies, so not a small endeavour to do properly.

Thanks all for bumping it. It must exist somewhere surely?

• You mean you're also looking for someone to get you one of these: 

I've been waiting for someone to get me a bucket load.... Pensive Blush

• Joy

• It must exist somewhere surely?

Just found this - people have been making relay models for LTspice:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/ltspice-dpdt-relay-model.138453/

LTspice is free and not too difficult to use, although it's really over the top for what you want (and might not have a delay element): 

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/design-tools-and-calculators/ltspice-simulator.html

I use it about once every 5 years, just for home use these days as I'm not allowed to do real engineering any more in the day job Wink , and it always takes me a while to remember how to actually get it to simulate anything. But it is really good for a free package once you get your head around it. You just need to remember that it's based on Pspice, which dates back to the days when we used DOS and had to do things the hard way!

I had a quick look earlier as I thought someone might have designed a specific relay simulator for rail signalling applications, and I found a few that had been done as student projects, but only conference / journal papers about them, sadly not something actually available - their supervisors were probably hoping someone would take an interest and give the universities money for it. Because of the gap in the market I do know of a serious one that's in development, but that's huge and complex (and very clever) and I'd imagine people will be charged a lot of money to use it - and it's very specifically dedicated to our strange world. A world where instead of NO and NC contacts we have front contacts and back contacts, and a "miniature" relay is the size (and weight) of a hardback book...

• They could get me some marbles at the same time to replace the ones I've lost... 

Oh dear, cold dark Friday at the end of a long week, time to turn the computer off I think!!

Reply Children
No Data