This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • BT say (https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice):

Keeping connected during a power cut

If there’s a power cut or your broadband fails, you’ll be unable to make any calls using Digital Voice, including 999 calls. You’ll still be able to use a mobile phone, just make sure you keep it charged at all times. If you don’t have a mobile phone or are in an area with no mobile signal, please contact us on 0800 800 150.

Customers who need extra support may be offered a battery backup unit to make sure you can still make calls. The unit will keep you connected for a short time if there is a power cut. We advise that you limit your usage to essential calls only to preserve battery life during any outage. If you believe you will need a battery backup unit, please contact us.

The battery option perhaps suggests that the road furniture will keep running. I doubt it would have a special mains supply (that would mean miles of dedicated LV cable), but it might perhaps have in-built UPS or draw power by copper cables from the main exchange.

- Andy.

• BT say (https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice):

Keeping connected during a power cut

If there’s a power cut or your broadband fails, you’ll be unable to make any calls using Digital Voice, including 999 calls. You’ll still be able to use a mobile phone, just make sure you keep it charged at all times. If you don’t have a mobile phone or are in an area with no mobile signal, please contact us on 0800 800 150.

Customers who need extra support may be offered a battery backup unit to make sure you can still make calls. The unit will keep you connected for a short time if there is a power cut. We advise that you limit your usage to essential calls only to preserve battery life during any outage. If you believe you will need a battery backup unit, please contact us.

The battery option perhaps suggests that the road furniture will keep running. I doubt it would have a special mains supply (that would mean miles of dedicated LV cable), but it might perhaps have in-built UPS or draw power by copper cables from the main exchange.

- Andy.

Children
No Data