This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • I have been chuntering away for quite some time, I don’t think there’s any resilience in the new fibre optic system that’s replacing the copper telephone network, you will need to use the internet through the cellular network if there’s a power cut.

Take as an example the emergency pendants the old ladies have, they have to go cellular personalalarms.ageco.co.uk/.../taking-care-anywhere-4327

• Out here in the sticks, I have a pole transformer supplying just my property. When they nstalled a broadband cabinet up the hill they took a supply from the same transformer so when I'm off, it's off.

• Out here in the sticks, I have a pole transformer supplying just my property. When they nstalled a broadband cabinet up the hill they took a supply from the same transformer so when I'm off, it's off.

Children
No Data