This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • When I was a kid in the 1960’s we lived opposite Council owned “old folks” bungalows, each home had pull cords in the bungalows connected to a bulkhead light fitting on the front of the bungalow that had a red bulb in it.

Every evening before going to bed my mother would look out of her bedroom window to check there were not any red lights on, because the system relied on there being neighbours like her checking throughout the day and night.

There used to be similar setups up and down the country, it could be the level of technology we are going back to with battery operated lights as a backup to all the internet connected stuff.

• When I was a kid in the 1960’s we lived opposite Council owned “old folks” bungalows, each home had pull cords in the bungalows connected to a bulkhead light fitting on the front of the bungalow that had a red bulb in it.

Every evening before going to bed my mother would look out of her bedroom window to check there were not any red lights on, because the system relied on there being neighbours like her checking throughout the day and night.

There used to be similar setups up and down the country, it could be the level of technology we are going back to with battery operated lights as a backup to all the internet connected stuff.

Children
No Data