This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • The advice to use a mobile phone is a classic example of the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. A great many of the newer base stations (that all mobile phones require)  are not battery backed up and depend, guess what, on the local  substation for power ! 

It is true that some larger base stations (generally the ones that serve as a hub to a group of base stations or share a site that already has back-up) do have some battery arrangement or even in a few cases self starting diesel generation, but to install proper back up power has not been a requirement for some time, and so now tends not to be done.  Now it may be that the failure of one substation  can be called in, because there is a  base station in range of the handset which happens to be on another LV transformer, but rota power cuts would appear to be based on the HV areas, and so larger areas of many tens of miles across all go off together. Only folk at the very edge  of zone can expect a mobile phone connection of any kind, and ones running on emergency power are designed to drop back to a low power mode with reduced performance, and in some cases emergency calls only. In a cut of any duration, you may be able to contact more people by carrying   a hand bell or whistle.

Actually  some folk have been wondering abut this for a while... https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2121314/mobile-netwroks-and-power-cuts

Mike

• The advice to use a mobile phone is a classic example of the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. A great many of the newer base stations (that all mobile phones require)  are not battery backed up and depend, guess what, on the local  substation for power ! 

It is true that some larger base stations (generally the ones that serve as a hub to a group of base stations or share a site that already has back-up) do have some battery arrangement or even in a few cases self starting diesel generation, but to install proper back up power has not been a requirement for some time, and so now tends not to be done.  Now it may be that the failure of one substation  can be called in, because there is a  base station in range of the handset which happens to be on another LV transformer, but rota power cuts would appear to be based on the HV areas, and so larger areas of many tens of miles across all go off together. Only folk at the very edge  of zone can expect a mobile phone connection of any kind, and ones running on emergency power are designed to drop back to a low power mode with reduced performance, and in some cases emergency calls only. In a cut of any duration, you may be able to contact more people by carrying   a hand bell or whistle.

Actually  some folk have been wondering abut this for a while... https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2121314/mobile-netwroks-and-power-cuts

Mike

Children
  • you may be able to contact more people by carrying   a hand bell or whistle

We didn't always have telephones. There was a time when if somebody was taken ill, they would get a lad to run to the doctor. Of course doctor would have been one of the first to have a telephone, but that still wouldn't have helped ordinary folk without one.

I suppose that if you are nervous about the situation, you could get a satellite 'phone.