This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • Well I am probably stuffed when they turn off 4G. Living near the top of a hill with no higher ground for over 30 miles in a 180 degree arc from South to North, which includes Chester, Liverpool and the Wirral, in a 30 minute period with my phone stationary on a table I had 20 cell transfers, 90% of the time the signal strength was low with 5% medium and 5% high.I can see over 12  5G towers all of which at various times (while the phone is stationary) are less than -115dBm.  I regularly get dropped calls or I cant hear the other person or they cannot hear me plus the normal partially dropped. I get over 8 4G cells which I am often connected to. While monitoring my signal during the 30 minute period I got  lots of low signal strength warnings of less than -117 dBm.

My daughter lives in a small town and commented that a couple of years ago while on a trip to Central America she could get a 5G signal in a field in the middle of nowhere in Guatemala but cannot get any signal in her own home unless she  goes into the upstairs back bedroom. 

I have asked neighbours what provider they are with and their experiences and all have the same problem irrespective of provider. 

All this in an area that the coverage maps say we should get a good 5G signal indoors.

VOIP and WiFi seems to be the stock answer for poor reception in homes.

• At my place in France, in the middle of nowhere and half way up a mountainside I get full 100% 4G signal.

However, at home in the UK I get 20% signal at best and if I happen to walk from the kitchen to the dinning room in the middle of the house during a call the signal drops out to zero. I rely heavily on my phone's wifi calling feature! 

• At my place in France, in the middle of nowhere and half way up a mountainside I get full 100% 4G signal.

However, at home in the UK I get 20% signal at best and if I happen to walk from the kitchen to the dinning room in the middle of the house during a call the signal drops out to zero. I rely heavily on my phone's wifi calling feature! 

Children
No Data