This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Lost engineering skills

I was recently discussing energy strategy, and it was pointed out that reopening deep coal mines in the UK is easier said than done because the skills and body of knowledge relating to coal mining have now been practically lost. It's all there in books, but the number of people in the UK below retirement age who still possess such skills and knowledge are very few in number, so experienced people will have to be brought in from foreign countries in order to resurrect British deep coal mining.

This made me wonder what other engineering skills have largely been lost in the UK - or even worldwide - over the past few decades?

Are there any endangered niches where no formal training and education still exists, so anybody who wants to learn such skills has to do so via self study or workshop dabbling unless they personally know somebody with the skills?

Are there any areas of engineering where skills and knowledge are being lost because it's too risky (from a career perspective) for young people to devote too much time to learning them?

Parents
  • I believe that there are many engineering professions which are slowly dying with the advent of automation systems and lack of succession planning strategy. Young engineers are having difficulties to cope in regards to existing engineering systems.

For example, in Kenya they have discovered oil which is a great thing, but lacking the engineering expertise for its extraction, they had to hire the services of foreign experts.

• I believe that there are many engineering professions which are slowly dying with the advent of automation systems and lack of succession planning strategy. Young engineers are having difficulties to cope in regards to existing engineering systems.

For example, in Kenya they have discovered oil which is a great thing, but lacking the engineering expertise for its extraction, they had to hire the services of foreign experts.

Children
No Data