This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Underground power cable fault identification system as a cable theft deterrent

Good day,

I am seeking a Underground Cable Monitoring system capable of the following:

• Cable fault identification through GPS and GSM(Cellular) techniques
  • Linkable to SCADA system to enable Control Center alert

In short, we are overwhelmed by a series of Underground Cable theft and we need a solution to guard against this. Please share your experiences on this and solutions.

Parents
  • What sort of cables are we talking about? Power, data, signalling?

Are you wishing to prevent theft, or merely detect when it happens?

I know that Network Rail have adopted a number of techniques - often starting with relatively low tech solutions - like using expanding foam to make cables difficult to remove from lineside ducts. Why the preference for GPS/GSM? Depending on the cable usage, I would have thought that a quite wide range of techniques might possibly be useful - from simple end-of-line resistors to TDR to calculate the distance to a break, with relatively simple GIS being able to translate the distance or circuit layout into a geographical position.

- Andy.

• What sort of cables are we talking about? Power, data, signalling?

Are you wishing to prevent theft, or merely detect when it happens?

I know that Network Rail have adopted a number of techniques - often starting with relatively low tech solutions - like using expanding foam to make cables difficult to remove from lineside ducts. Why the preference for GPS/GSM? Depending on the cable usage, I would have thought that a quite wide range of techniques might possibly be useful - from simple end-of-line resistors to TDR to calculate the distance to a break, with relatively simple GIS being able to translate the distance or circuit layout into a geographical position.

- Andy.

Children
  • The reason for GPS is that we currently are using ARCGIS system and have a Maintenance/Operations team that needs communications. Each time there is an incident of cable theft they arrive late and are not able to get quickly to the point of theft.

This system will be also shared with security personnel to ensure that the culprits are caught.

Faults are identified manually with existing GPS system. For Protection Relay using TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) we are able to determine distance to fault but we have not yet integrated the Protection System to the GPS system. Therefore, we do it manually at the moment.

We are currently open to other alternatives even adding it to our current VHF, UHF or any other radio system.

• These are Power Cables.