This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Underground power cable fault identification system as a cable theft deterrent

Good day,

I am seeking a Underground Cable Monitoring system capable of the following:

• Cable fault identification through GPS and GSM(Cellular) techniques
  • Linkable to SCADA system to enable Control Center alert

In short, we are overwhelmed by a series of Underground Cable theft and we need a solution to guard against this. Please share your experiences on this and solutions.

Parents
  • It seems to me that underground cable theft is a major undertaking requiring access, diggers, secluded places. If this is happening at specific locations, e.g. where the underground cable is not underground, then a better approach might be to monitor these locations so the attempted theft can be identified before the cable is cut and removed.

• It seems to me that underground cable theft is a major undertaking requiring access, diggers, secluded places. If this is happening at specific locations, e.g. where the underground cable is not underground, then a better approach might be to monitor these locations so the attempted theft can be identified before the cable is cut and removed.

Children
  • I suspect that cables are fished from ducts by gaining access at unlocked manholes and so on, rather than digging up a trench along the cable route.
    It is not easy to lock such a network  down, as then your own folk all need a key to each manhole, cabinet  or whatever and at some point one will be lost, and then you have to replace the lot, and even if that is not an issue remote locks can freeze or be jammed.
    Procedural changes to the installation such as cable clamps, so the thieves hoping to pull a valuable length quickly, only remove a short piece can be phased in over time but non of that is easy.

Mike.