This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What welder would you recommend?

Back in the days of yore I was half handy with an arc welder but I'm aware that things have moved on a bit. I've a "need" (Mrs G's inverted commas) to repair/alter a few things so what would you suggest would be a good option for the following? A 2mm mower deck needs a patch, a 4mm tractor bucket likewise and a trailer needs fettling with 6mm angle. Budget is an issue!

Parents
  • Many years ago I did an oxyacetylene welding course as evening classes along with a mate, the two of us thought we would be doing all sorts of repairs, but I never actually got around to buying an oxyacetylene Porta Pak, though occasionally I did borrow a small arc welder.

I was actually taught soldering and brazing in the workshop at school whilst doing the O-Level Metalwork course prior to that and have a selection of five propane gas torches.

For mobile repairs a oxyacetylene Porta Pak is probably still the simplest option for use in the middle of a field, but these days there options that are far easy to use, but that usually mean getting the workpiece to the workshop.

Last night after reading the original post I had a look to see what introduction to welding courses are being run locally, the pickings are at bit thin, back when I was a lad every college ran part time evening courses for hobbyists as well as starting people off in a career. There’s nothing in my immediate area, the closest being in the next county as a part time day course and it is only open to those aged nineteen and over, which isn’t an issue for me, but doesn’t help a young budding engineer to start gaining additional skills.

I could actually quite fancy doing a term of evening classes over the Winter doing basic welding or some other skills training, but nothing like that really seems to exist anymore.

• I pretty much taught myself 45 years ago. In those days, an affordable car needed annual welding.

• I pretty much taught myself 45 years ago. In those days, an affordable car needed annual welding.

Children
No Data