Repair Cafes in Essex - Help Sought

Hi

I work in technology for Essex County Council. We're exploring the viability of supporting repair cafes in Essex as part of sustainability and the circular economy.

Can anyone offer any guidance and experience around setting these up. Or if you're Essex based, is that something you'd have the time and enthusiasm to get involved ?

I and my colleagues would love to hear from you

Andy - direct message me  or reply below if you have any questions.

Parents
  • Main thing we learned was that some vacuum cleaners can be absolute pigs to dismantle!!!

Not just vacuums but all sorts seem to have fixing points deliberately hidden away - screw heads hidden under rating labels, cases that clip together that can only be opened if you know where the clips are - but you can't see them until the case is opened. Or the reverse - lots of screws, a couple of which hold the case together while the others hold something heavy away from something delicate inside and again no way of telling which is which before it's too late. I remember the good old days when the BBC micro had its case fixing screws clearly marked as "FIX>" but nostalgia isn't what it used to be either. Maybe we should have a Wiki for how to open various models of appliances.

- Andy.

• Main thing we learned was that some vacuum cleaners can be absolute pigs to dismantle!!!

Not just vacuums but all sorts seem to have fixing points deliberately hidden away - screw heads hidden under rating labels, cases that clip together that can only be opened if you know where the clips are - but you can't see them until the case is opened. Or the reverse - lots of screws, a couple of which hold the case together while the others hold something heavy away from something delicate inside and again no way of telling which is which before it's too late. I remember the good old days when the BBC micro had its case fixing screws clearly marked as "FIX>" but nostalgia isn't what it used to be either. Maybe we should have a Wiki for how to open various models of appliances.

- Andy.

Children
No Data