What are the implications of the Retained EU Law (REUL) on the engineering & technology sector?

At the IET we are looking to comment on the Retained EU Law (REUL), which is having its 2nd reading in the House of Lords on 6 February, having already progressed through the House of Commons.  The essence of the Bill is that EU law that has been adopted in the UK will automatically expire on 31 December 2023 unless specifically retained by the UK.  REUL also gives more extensive power to Ministers to decide what laws to retain without the usual parliamentary scrutiny.

I’d like to get your thoughts on the potential impact of REUL in your own sector, with specific evidence where possible.  My questions are:

1. Does the prospect of losing EU law have direct / indirect implications for your engineering / technology sector?
  2. If so, in which particular areas, to what extent and who will it impact?
  3. Would you welcome the deregulation of engineering and technology safety practices?
  4. What are your suggestions on the best way forward with the legislation?

Thank you for your responses.

Parents
  • The big problem is knowing in  advance what exactly will be retained, not this bill itself. In principle, once this bill is past without a lot of marking of things for retention,  we could lose much legislation passed since the 1970s, including asbestos legislation, working hours legislation, controls requiring unleaded solder and compulsory seatbelts.   That may or may not be th intention, but I suspect that will not happen, rather most of the significant stuff will be retained with minimal changes. But it is very likely there will be odd holes to fix later. There is a political will to have a 'bonfire of red tape' which seems jolly attractive, but may be less spectacular than the hype.
    There is no question that the regulations that govern us have become increasingly labyrinthine in recent years, and there is scope for rationalizing. The problem is that quite a bit of that is not the EU anyway, but our own legal process. Its not the EU requiring for example restaurant owners to create risk assessments and method statement for staff using a tin-opener, though we all pay the price for it.

As the UK ceases to be a fossil fuel exporter we will need to move to more of a goods economy than a services one to compensate, we will have to adapt a lot of this anyway. It may not be wise to do it all at once.
    More locally I do not care too much what changes, we can adapt, but what is needed is time to preview exactly  what is changing before it does.
    Mike.

• The big problem is knowing in  advance what exactly will be retained, not this bill itself. In principle, once this bill is past without a lot of marking of things for retention,  we could lose much legislation passed since the 1970s, including asbestos legislation, working hours legislation, controls requiring unleaded solder and compulsory seatbelts.   That may or may not be th intention, but I suspect that will not happen, rather most of the significant stuff will be retained with minimal changes. But it is very likely there will be odd holes to fix later. There is a political will to have a 'bonfire of red tape' which seems jolly attractive, but may be less spectacular than the hype.
    There is no question that the regulations that govern us have become increasingly labyrinthine in recent years, and there is scope for rationalizing. The problem is that quite a bit of that is not the EU anyway, but our own legal process. Its not the EU requiring for example restaurant owners to create risk assessments and method statement for staff using a tin-opener, though we all pay the price for it.

As the UK ceases to be a fossil fuel exporter we will need to move to more of a goods economy than a services one to compensate, we will have to adapt a lot of this anyway. It may not be wise to do it all at once.
    More locally I do not care too much what changes, we can adapt, but what is needed is time to preview exactly  what is changing before it does.
    Mike.

Children
No Data