What are the implications of the Retained EU Law (REUL) on the engineering & technology sector?

At the IET we are looking to comment on the Retained EU Law (REUL), which is having its 2nd reading in the House of Lords on 6 February, having already progressed through the House of Commons.  The essence of the Bill is that EU law that has been adopted in the UK will automatically expire on 31 December 2023 unless specifically retained by the UK.  REUL also gives more extensive power to Ministers to decide what laws to retain without the usual parliamentary scrutiny.

I’d like to get your thoughts on the potential impact of REUL in your own sector, with specific evidence where possible.  My questions are:

1. Does the prospect of losing EU law have direct / indirect implications for your engineering / technology sector?
  2. If so, in which particular areas, to what extent and who will it impact?
  3. Would you welcome the deregulation of engineering and technology safety practices?
  4. What are your suggestions on the best way forward with the legislation?

Thank you for your responses.

Parents
  • My thought is simplification. We do not want any regulations that are duplicated of existing legislation or H&S regulations.

Simplify; or face expensive lawyers arguing in the high court which act or regulation is correct.

Further confusion and delays are caused to essential projects because governments order a hugely costly report.

We are engineers and need to follow quick, clear guidelines to design or maintain equipment without legal worries.

Recommendations are preferred to regulations and passing laws should be the very last resort.

Think about the low voltage directive which as far as electricity is concerned sums up what is required for H&S.

• You cannot simplify a complex problem without creating a higher risk that things will go wrong ... in any discipline. It is the constant profit-motivated pressure people find themselves under that allows them to make poor safety decisions in the name of expediency of the moment over compliance. Just look at the evidence collected in by the Grenfell Fire Inquiry that reports too many safety decisions were taken for what seemed the right reasons at the time but now cannot be justified with the benefit of hindsight. If the threat of prosecution by an enforcing authority is not enough to motivate employers to ensure their employees and their contractors work safely (in every meaning of the word), then the recent subtle change in the way current legislation is making it far easier for people who have suffered harm or financial loss to seek redress should. Although I agree with the common thread that has been expressed by many people that it is unclear what REUL is intended to achieve, it must not be allowed to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

• You cannot simplify a complex problem without creating a higher risk that things will go wrong ... in any discipline. It is the constant profit-motivated pressure people find themselves under that allows them to make poor safety decisions in the name of expediency of the moment over compliance. Just look at the evidence collected in by the Grenfell Fire Inquiry that reports too many safety decisions were taken for what seemed the right reasons at the time but now cannot be justified with the benefit of hindsight. If the threat of prosecution by an enforcing authority is not enough to motivate employers to ensure their employees and their contractors work safely (in every meaning of the word), then the recent subtle change in the way current legislation is making it far easier for people who have suffered harm or financial loss to seek redress should. Although I agree with the common thread that has been expressed by many people that it is unclear what REUL is intended to achieve, it must not be allowed to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Children
No Data