What do you think about infrared wallpaper?

I recently read this interesting article: Farewell radiators? Testing out electric infrared wallpaper and wondered if anyone in the community had come across/tried it?

It seems like a good innovation, certainly space-saving and probably more efficient and green, but I can't help wondering how easy would it be to maintain? What happens if something goes wrong? Do you rip out the plaster to fit a new 'sheet' of wallpaper? It seems like it would only be suitable for new builds. Can you imagine how much upheaval it would cause to install it behind plaster in older homes? Although older homes are surely where the energy efficiencies need to be made. 

With rising temperatures, I wonder if future versions of it can be used to cool homes as well as heat them? Thinking

If costs came down, do you think you would have infrared wallpaper in your home?

Parents
  • Those of us who like to screw cupboards and shelves to the wall would have a problem, as would those who already insist on finding cables with every use of an electric drill ;-)
    Not really sure what the novelty is of a very flat heater running at low temperature. It will  be no cheaper than any other system using electricity to heat the same volume to the same temperature - as it may be more prone to heat loss though external walls, as the walls then have to be the hottest  part of the room , not the coldest, so it may even use more power to feel as warm in the centre of the room.

Ideally to save on heating bills you want radiant heat, which generally involves something glowing red or near infra-red,  so that you heat the exposed skin but not the air - as installed in the late 60s early 70s, and ripped out in the 90s as too old fashioned. As seen in the TLC catalogue...

No points from me I'm afraid.

Mike.

• Ah yes, it wouldn't be particularly nail/drill friendly would it! I suppose that's why they have it in the ceiling in the article. Depth behind the plasterboard would certainly need to be a consideration. 

Now that takes me back Mike! We had one of those in our bathroom when I was a kid and it always rather terrified me! ScreamGrinning

• Ah yes, it wouldn't be particularly nail/drill friendly would it! I suppose that's why they have it in the ceiling in the article. Depth behind the plasterboard would certainly need to be a consideration. 

Now that takes me back Mike! We had one of those in our bathroom when I was a kid and it always rather terrified me! ScreamGrinning

Children
No Data