What do you think about infrared wallpaper?

I recently read this interesting article: Farewell radiators? Testing out electric infrared wallpaper and wondered if anyone in the community had come across/tried it?

It seems like a good innovation, certainly space-saving and probably more efficient and green, but I can't help wondering how easy would it be to maintain? What happens if something goes wrong? Do you rip out the plaster to fit a new 'sheet' of wallpaper? It seems like it would only be suitable for new builds. Can you imagine how much upheaval it would cause to install it behind plaster in older homes? Although older homes are surely where the energy efficiencies need to be made. 

With rising temperatures, I wonder if future versions of it can be used to cool homes as well as heat them? Thinking

If costs came down, do you think you would have infrared wallpaper in your home?

Parents
  • Thanks for posting this Elizabeth. My better half sent me a link to that article a couple of days ago, only when i saw this thread did i take a look, oops Slight smile

The manufacturer's site says it is a thin sheet positive temperature coefficient heating element using "tiny semiconductor ceramic stones" which, as the temperature increases, the resistance increases dramatically, so that they do not, by design, overheat. They also state that they can be installed within ceilings or floors, or within "panels" for the walls. So calling it wallpaper is perhaps a misnomer, unless you think branded shiny sheets with wires attached is tres chic.

In spite of it being possibly safer (in terms of overheating) than traditional wired heating elements, you still get the problem of localised hotspots where furniture, piles of clothes, etc insulate the elements, and having these items at the max temp of 60degC seems a bit dangerous to me, especially with some natural flooring materials. But would possibly suit a very spartan, bare designer house with only 1 chair and a toothbrush. 

• Thanks for posting this Elizabeth. My better half sent me a link to that article a couple of days ago, only when i saw this thread did i take a look, oops Slight smile

The manufacturer's site says it is a thin sheet positive temperature coefficient heating element using "tiny semiconductor ceramic stones" which, as the temperature increases, the resistance increases dramatically, so that they do not, by design, overheat. They also state that they can be installed within ceilings or floors, or within "panels" for the walls. So calling it wallpaper is perhaps a misnomer, unless you think branded shiny sheets with wires attached is tres chic.

In spite of it being possibly safer (in terms of overheating) than traditional wired heating elements, you still get the problem of localised hotspots where furniture, piles of clothes, etc insulate the elements, and having these items at the max temp of 60degC seems a bit dangerous to me, especially with some natural flooring materials. But would possibly suit a very spartan, bare designer house with only 1 chair and a toothbrush. 

Children
No Data