My favourite plane

Peeling off from JP's thread about hammers  MY 2ND FAVORITE HAMMER  let's discuss planes. I have quite a few, but my favourite, which has not been supplanted by some (expensive) subsequent purchases is my Stanley 93 plane.

I can use it for finishing tenons (as intended), tidying up shoulders in general, trimming off the end of dowels; and without the nose, getting into corners. It fits my (7 1/2) hand perfectly.

Parents
  • I've a feeling cast iron is somewhat porous - could it be that it's picked up something corrosive before that the surface cleaning/oiling hasn't entirely removed?

- Andy.

• I've a feeling cast iron is somewhat porous - could it be that it's picked up something corrosive before that the surface cleaning/oiling hasn't entirely removed?

- Andy.

Children
  • Andy/Mike

No acids in the workshop, no gardening chemicals and no fire. No of the other planes in the same cupboard are affected. On the last clean at the weekend I did clean it off, after de-rusting again, with copious amounts of white spirit and clean rags before oiling. I am off on holiday for a week but will try the alkaline clean after de-rusting again. The corrosion is black not red so I am thinking some sort of magnetite?

I am think of using penetrating oil next time thinking about Andy's suggestion of the cast iron being porous. Is that a good idea?

JP