Asbestos in Fuses

We have recently had asbestos survey reports return with presumed asbestos as the fuse cartridge. With the reasoning being that some fuses contain asbestos as part of the cartridge filling.

I‘m aware of flash guards and asbestos rope, but I can’t find any guidance for the fuse cartridges being asbestos?

granted some of the old fuses may have had cross contamination from old flash guards. But I’m concerned with the presumption aspect of the report, and what confusion it may cause going forward.

Parents
  • Sounds curious to me - I've never heard of asbestos inside cartridge fuses (I thought it was usually sand, and as the cartridge remains sealed even if the fuse element blows, even if there was asbestos in there I can't see it being a significant risk).  Rewirable fuse carriers certainly had a history of asbestos and of course can in some circumstances can be retrofitted with cartridge fuses, so I can imagine that some types of carriers might be suspect even if local knowledge says they contain cartridge fuses (and normally they wouldn't want to open them to check, as that would risk disturbing the fibres and increase the very risk they're trying to control). But as described it does sound muddled. Maybe someone's thinking is sound but it hasn't carried through accurately to the words, or maybe the thinking isn't quite right.

- Andy.

• Sounds curious to me - I've never heard of asbestos inside cartridge fuses (I thought it was usually sand, and as the cartridge remains sealed even if the fuse element blows, even if there was asbestos in there I can't see it being a significant risk).  Rewirable fuse carriers certainly had a history of asbestos and of course can in some circumstances can be retrofitted with cartridge fuses, so I can imagine that some types of carriers might be suspect even if local knowledge says they contain cartridge fuses (and normally they wouldn't want to open them to check, as that would risk disturbing the fibres and increase the very risk they're trying to control). But as described it does sound muddled. Maybe someone's thinking is sound but it hasn't carried through accurately to the words, or maybe the thinking isn't quite right.

- Andy.

Children
No Data