Asbestos in Fuses

We have recently had asbestos survey reports return with presumed asbestos as the fuse cartridge. With the reasoning being that some fuses contain asbestos as part of the cartridge filling.

I‘m aware of flash guards and asbestos rope, but I can’t find any guidance for the fuse cartridges being asbestos?

granted some of the old fuses may have had cross contamination from old flash guards. But I’m concerned with the presumption aspect of the report, and what confusion it may cause going forward.

Parents
  • Blanket ban on asbestos and popular demonising makes no sense at all. It is not like Mercury metal. There's number of crystalline forms and 'behaviours', and obviously, exposure to many of these fibers is creating health risk. Thoroughly tested. With limited use of safe forms or safe handling, it is optimal material in many niche applications. 

• Blanket ban on asbestos and popular demonising makes no sense at all. It is not like Mercury metal. There's number of crystalline forms and 'behaviours', and obviously, exposure to many of these fibers is creating health risk. Thoroughly tested. With limited use of safe forms or safe handling, it is optimal material in many niche applications. 

Children
  • Tom,

Asbestos was banned from use in 1999 onwards.

It is because it is a very dangerous material.

My father died in 2010 from Mesothelioma.

I don't think it is an accurate description as "optimal material in many niche applications" when so many people continue to die from contact with it.

• The ban was necessary, the only way to protect the population and workers from widespread use of weakly controlled supply of asbestos forms. Even talcum powder can cause mesothelioma. Because of very widespread use, it is more dangerous than chrysolite, which is least dangerous from of asbestos, and not banned just in Russia. Engineering is the art of honest compromise, and exposure to dangerous materials can be reduced, by safeguarding or elimination, whatever makes more sense.  

• only some countries banned asbestos
    The map shows in dark colour the countries where asbestos ban is in place.
    It does not mean there is no awareness and limits to its use anywhere else. 

• It is not like Mercury metal.

No, it's worse! I don't have a problem with putting a mercury thermometer in my mouth, or taking my blood pressure with a mercury sphygmomanometer. I'd even be happy to have a clock with a mercury pendulum.

I don't have a problem with asbestos lagging, which is in one of my old motor cars. However, I wouldn't take it apart. Not yet, but perhaps when I shall be 80.