My new ethos for heating / cooling a dwelling and how I have incorporated it into a 1930's house.

An energy efficient 1930’s house By John Greengrass

It was decided it was time to downsize as the children had left home. I had been dreaming since I started in the building services industry to have an energy efficient home and now I had the opportunity to make that dream come true. I went back to basics and worked the scheme with the laws of thermodynamics in mind.

A 1930’s three bed semi similar to a large proportion of the British housing stock with a southerly facing rear garden was purchased. It was in poor condition and had to be refurbished. All new doors, architraves, skirtings, sills etc. were to be oak finish to reduce the need of maintenance which lowers the house’s carbon footprint. A small single storey extension was built with wet thermal solar panels on the roof ,which were at an angle to get the most from the sun in February. I did try to procure thermal solid solar panels but had to buy wet panels with all their problems regarding boiling and freezing which required a very complicated control system. I have since applied for a patent for very easily controllable solid thermal solar panels.

My idea was for the house to be like a thermos flask (cold in summer, hot in winter), the brickwork keeping the temperature in the house stable. To that end insulation as Fig 1 (to the exterior of the brickwork) and Fig 2 (to the roof) was installed with the wall insulation covered by self-coloured silicon render which was guaranteed for 25 years negating the need of maintenance therefore lowering the house’s carbon footprint.

The ground floor floor was found to be in need of considerable repair so was replaced with a concrete floor on 200mm of insulation. Underfloor heating pipework was installed in the screed.The thermal solar panels feed a primary tank adjacent, with a heavily insulated hot water cylinder (installed in the loft) gravity fed from the primary tank. On a sunny 21st of December (the shortest day in London U.K.) the temperature of the water leaving the thermal solar panels has been in access of 50°C and on the coldest days the skys tend to be clear.

The hot water cylinder is fitted with an immersion heater (rarely used), set to 40°C, fed solely from off peak electricity.  With the sun only the hot water cylinder temperature can reach 70+°C, so a thermoblending mixing valve is fitted to the outlet of the cylinder to prevent scolding and increasing the efficiency of the hot water storage.

The primary tank is fitted with an immersion heater, set to 30°C which only operates when the ground floor slab temperature is below 18°C, fed solely from off peak electricity. It is sized to replace the heat loss of the structure when the sun does not shine.  The underfloor heating pipework is fed from the primary tank when required. The underfloor heating stops taking water from the primary tank when the primary tank’s temperature is below 25°C. The primary tank also feeds heavily insulated storage tanks when the primary tank’s temperature is above 50°C. With this system the structural temperature is kept to about 18°C, the ideal temperature for sleeping, although it does have a tendency in the summer to creep over that. In the bath/shower rooms I have fitted suitable wall fan heaters which only take minutes to heat the room from 18°C to a suitable bathing temperature. In the main reception and bed rooms, air to air heat pumps (at a cost of a thousand pounds a room installed) were installed, when the sun shines these are fed from electric solar panels. These cool or heat to the provide the temperature we require for dressing and sitting and are controlled by their internal timeswitches or remote controllers. For each one kilowatt of electricity, four kilowatt of heat is produced and as the temperature has to be raised by only a few degrees to reach the required temperature, the energy used is very small. Up to eight indoor units can be serviced by one outdoor unit. Ours have an 8 year warrantee and require no maintenance. 

Lighting is predominantly fed by the 24V DC rectifier unit so that a 1.5mm cable can normally feed 300w (60 No. 5w lamps) of equipment. The lamps are two 12V DC LEDs fed in series, which work well. Most switches are 2 way and off so that one end switches on, the centre position is off and the other end is auto. The auto position is fed from a master external Photocell Light Sensor Switch and a local Infrared PIR Motion Sensor Switch (£4.50 each).

The property is fairly well sealed, with ventilation being provided by mains fed fans which run constantly removing a trickle of air. The system has a 20 minute booster circuit which operates when required by a humidistat (in the extract ductwork) when recording a reading over 58%RH (to prevent virus and mould growth) and push buttons by each toilet and in the kitchen to remove smells and steam. The supply fan to the house brings air in through a filter and as the property is slightly pressurized, the need for dusting is reduced. There is a heat exchanger to heat or cool the incoming air from the outgoing air as necessary. The incoming air is fed into the loft. The loft acts as a plenum. When the indoor temperature and the outdoor temperature is higher than the required indoor temperature, the extract air bypasses the heat exchanger. When the outdoor temperature is lower and the indoor temperature is higher than required indoor temperature the kitchen extract air only bypasses the heat exchanger. From the loft runs supply air ducts to each living and bedroom. The bedroom ducts take the air from the apex of the loft to heat the bedrooms. Each has a 2.4watt 24V DC fan (£4 each) which runs in the early morning for 20 minutes to prevent mould growth and is connected to operate when required by the lighting Infrared PIR Motion Sensor Switch.

There is a south facing conservatory with an pneumatic automatic roof light set to open at 25 °C. A  fan controlled by a deferential thermostat and a maximum thermostat in the main living room (preventing overheating )feeds air to the main living room. This provides the main living room with some heat on a sunny day.

I found these systems needed no annual inspections or maintenance except the cleaning of air filters which anybody can do.  This system has been working well for five years and saves a considerable amount of energy

• Very interesting - I've attempted something very similar with a 1910 stone built semi (and a bit further north than yours I think).

A few differences, because we're in a conservation areas external insulation wasn't an option, so I went with internal insulation (150mm total PIR walls and floors, about the same spray insulated under the roof) giving U values of around 0.15. Triple glazed windows about 0.8. I installed a conventional vacuum tube thermal solar panel - freeze/boil protection was relatively straight-forward (apart from the controller programming to mitigate things when power is available), the solar circuit is doped with antifreeze and panel design means that the first sign of boiling pushes all the remaining liquid water out of the panel - which is accommodated by an oversized expansion vessel - any further heating merely increases the temperature of the steam with minimal further expansion, and then limited by the panel's stagnation temperature. At the moment the thermal store is topped up from the original gas boiler - although the longer term plan is to replace it with a heat pump. Wet UFH throughout, although the bedroom circuits haven't been used since they day they were commissioned. We also have a log burner that contributes to the thermal store occasionally in the winter (we have a supply of free local wood!) Ventilation is by a commercially available HRVS - runs at a low level continuously (so no need for odour boosts) and an in-built humidistat increases the rate when showering etc. It includes an automatic heat-exchanger bypass which provides for some free cooling in summer. Also a 2kW PV array (luckily on one of the original FIT tariffs, so the payments used to easily pay for all the imported electricity & gas, with the current prices, I might be having to a make a small nett payment towards the gas). Normal mains lighting though (LED of course). No conservatory (although my previous house did, and I had a similar sounding arrangement to run a fan when the conservatory was hot and the front room cold to push warm air into the house). So all in all while some of the details differ, we seem to be working to the same principles!

I can't see the Figs your refer to though.

- Andy.

• Thanks for your interest. The figs are on my files on Windows 10 but won't load on to this blog.

• Those are some interesting improvements. I read the details of Andy's when he posted it before. You are both obviously intelligent people who understand the technicalities. How scalable/reproducible do you think they are?

I agree in general with the 'Insulate Britain' type groups who demand that the government does something but they need to supply much more technical detail and costs. To me what you have done is very specific to your properties, could it be generalised? 

• Interesting - I have not done anything that ambitious, lacking the time/ willpower to do more than small projects personally, but even so our own heating arrangements are more complex than the average plumber/ boiler repair man can follow (and it's only wiring, pump switch off and extra thermostats and a sort of 'winner takes all' logic), and insulation in a few extra places, so I take my hat of to you both, metaphorically speaking.

The problem for the average householder then may well be that they can find no-one to advise sensibly on the art of the possible - as well as a confused plumber I have dealt firmly with a salesman who assured me that their double glazed units 'lost no heat at all' (in fact they compared to anyone else's), a cavity wall company that was not sure how to fill a cavity wall when the outside leaf also supported hanging tiles (how about drilling from the inside out - we can plaster the holes cheaper than we can re-tile). Worse, at no time did anybody pointed out the biggest thermal flaw in the half timbered construction, that the gaps between the ends of the upstairs floor joists communicate with outside air in the triangular crawlway so upstairs floor and downstairs ceiling more or less at external temp !

All things that to me were obvious, but I suspect that the average customer would not be that aware, or more importantly that forceful with tradesmen and sales types, and may well end up not doing the right things for their building - having the expense without the benefit. In many ways what we need is a more 'robust details' level of awareness - but among the public, not just the trades - as even what we are supposed to be doing is not always being done well, let alone the one step beyond.

If not then the only folk with warm homes will be the enthusiastic amateurs, which is better then nothing, but not anything like how it could be,

Mike

• Thought the temperature of hot water cylinders had to be set at 60 deg C min to prevent legionella?

Regards,Hz

• How scalable/reproducible do you think they are?

There's certainly a few things you need to be aware of, but it's not rocket science, not by a long chalk. Basic heat loss theory helps if you're getting into the details (but that's basically just Ohm's Law but with temperature, heat and thermal resistance in place of voltage, current and resistance), a basic understanding of condensation control (either by vapour barriers keeping the moist air out of cooler areas, or by a graduation of materials in a 'breathable' section that can loose moisture to the outside quicker than it can sneak in from the inside) and ventilation. I've had no training in this kind of thing at all - just DIY experience and common sense. There are loads of details available - all the major insulation manufacturers have loads of details of how their products can be used in retrofit as well as new build situation - ditto ventilation systems are commercially available together with all the information you'd need.  There's even useful official information from building regs approved documents, and compliance guides, and robust details, not forgetting independent 'good egg' types such as the Centre for Alternative Technology. Even the old Navitron forum was a goldmine of more detailed technical information (sadly defunct now I think).

I am aware that I was lucky in a few ways with mine - one side of the roof is due south facing at almost the ideal angle for solar for my latitude, we didn't have any internal doors or staircases abutting external walls which would have made internal insulation much more difficult, and I had a suspended timber ground floor with plenty of access space below - a solid concrete (especially beam and block kind) would have been much harder to insulate. The fact that the house hadn't had much done to it since the 1970s and was sorely in need of  major renovation anyway made the extra work and disruption a lot easier to sell to my other half.

But yes definitely everyone could do something to improve things substantially I reckon. Get some proper professionals on the job and I'm sure you could do better than me (with hindsight I would have done a few things differently).  If you wanted suggestions, I'd say start off thinking of the whole thing, even if you're only going to implement the changes piecemeal. While any insulation is good, it's not much use without airtightness. Airtightness without ventilation is asking for condensation problems, and so on. It's all eminently doable though. Then get the details right - existing trades aren't good at this kind of thing - especially a the junctions (either between different building elements or different trades). I've seen too many new extensions where the builder has insulated the new walls, insulated the floor but then left a gap behind the dab-and-dot plasterboard so that external air flows behind it. Likewise don't rely on foil backed plasterboard as a vapour check if you want flush sockets/switches cut into it. That's one big advantage of DIY - you get to see all the details yourself - and have an incentive to get it right.

- Andy.

• Thought the temperature of hot water cylinders had to be set at 60 deg C min to prevent legionella?

The problem with legionella really only exists where the hot (tap) water is stored warm. In combis where the hot water is heated as the tap is opened the problem can't really occur. Likewise in thermal store type cylinders - the cylinder holds 'heating circuit' water, not the stuff that comes out of the taps, the hot tap water (DHW) is heated by passing through a coil in the tank in much the same way as in a combi - and is flushed out completely every time a hot tap is used.

- Andy.

• This is all very laudable but there seems to be a complete absence of cost here. Other than the warm glow from saving polar bears how long is the payback from all this insulation and energy saving?

• That's another reason in favour of the enthusiastic DIYer  - the material cost is recovered quite quickly - the labour especially if done by someone who does not normally work that way and is not confident and slick,  is likely to be prohibitive. Once again, the most useful thing to do is to educate the general public.

M.

• how long is the payback from all this insulation and energy saving?

I did spend a small fortune on insulation - I don't have the figures to hand, but getting a firm in to spray insulate the underside of the roof was knocking on £5k from memory (if we didn't have rooms in the loft it would have been a lot cheaper using rockwool at ceiling level) - all the celotex for the rest of the house was probably something in the region another £5k, possibly more. On the other side, it's saving me at least £2k a year in gas - so about 5 years in reckon I'm at about break even point now. Obviously getting professionals in to do the work would cost more, but they'd probably be able to get a far better discount at the builder's merchant than I could manage. Overall costs were more again of course - those figures don't include plasterboard for instance - because I had to do a full renovation we'd have had to spend on that sort of thing anyway, but you'd have those costs as extras if you were starting with somewhere in otherwise good condition.

- Andy.