How to produce Hydrogen

Instead of stopping wind and solar electrical production when excess power is produced the electricity is made into hydrogen which is now produced by putting both ends of the cables into the sea. Hydrogen naturally will come off one end of the cable and be for stored. When needed, the hydrogen would come ashore to be used for everything oil and gas are used for now. Oxygen naturally will come off the other end and if the plant is on the sea floor, the oxygen then would bubble through the sea oxygenating the water expanding the fish stocks. The oxygen would reduce the concentration of CO2 in the air reducing global warming. As the reduction in energy requirements continues i.e. LED lighting and insulation in buildings (the government appears not interested in this) and as wave and tide power is yet to be exploited, we may be able to produce all our energy from hydrogen without any pollution whatsoever.

Parents
  • Sort of. Put both ends of a normal AC supply into water and I think you'll get a mix of hydrogen and oxygen from both wires - you need to convert to DC first. Not sure about using ordinary sea water - I think there might be a risk of splitting the salt content as well as the water - and you probably don't want sodium or chlorine getting in the mix. Presuming the hydrogen is going to be burnt (or equivalent in say a hydrogen fuel cell) then it'll consume exactly the same amount of oxygen as was originally released - so overall no significant nett benefit either to fishes or the atmosphere. But yes, hydrogen is a plausible method of energy storage - some commercial applications already exist (e.g. https://www.gknhydrogen.com) - and once we get to the point of having substantial amounts of spare electricity from renewables to drive the electrolysis process, it could well be a very reasonable approach.

- Andy.

• Sort of. Put both ends of a normal AC supply into water and I think you'll get a mix of hydrogen and oxygen from both wires - you need to convert to DC first. Not sure about using ordinary sea water - I think there might be a risk of splitting the salt content as well as the water - and you probably don't want sodium or chlorine getting in the mix. Presuming the hydrogen is going to be burnt (or equivalent in say a hydrogen fuel cell) then it'll consume exactly the same amount of oxygen as was originally released - so overall no significant nett benefit either to fishes or the atmosphere. But yes, hydrogen is a plausible method of energy storage - some commercial applications already exist (e.g. https://www.gknhydrogen.com) - and once we get to the point of having substantial amounts of spare electricity from renewables to drive the electrolysis process, it could well be a very reasonable approach.

- Andy.

Children
No Data