Earth Fault operated in 11KV Solid BUS when made close loop.

Dear All,

We have two 11KV BUS's BUS 1 & 2, In BUS-1 there are two sections BUS-A & B. Same two sections BUS C & D are there in BUS-2. 

In BUS 1 the BUS coupler is always closed position(for closing using synchroscope) & BUS-2, BUS coupler keeping always Open condition. BUS-2 getting power through BUS C incomer BKR 1 & BUS-D from Incomer BKR2.

Since the BUS coupler-1 is closed position & as per i understand the voltage at BUS-C & BUS-D should be same. Also we verified the voltage across BUS coupler -2 with HV sticks, there were no any voltage difference found. 

In this scenario the BUS coupler -2 can closed without synchronization, i think that's why we don't have synchroscope installed on this BUS coupler-2.  

when we tried to close BUS Coupler-2 with following conditions,

1. BUS Coupler -1 Close position. 

2. O/G BKR-1 & Incomer BKR-1 Close position.

3. O/G BKR-2 & Incomer BKR-2 Close position.

when we were closed BUS Coupler -2 same time following BKR's tripped on Earth fault,

1. O/G BKR-1 & Incomer BKR-1 Close position.

2.O/G BKR-2 & Incomer BKR-2 Close position.

For earth fault protection for O/G & I/C BKR 1 & 2 cables are equipped with CB C.T(Core balancing).  CB CT ratio is 50/1 & settings is 7.50 Amp with 500 ms. 

Running load on BUS-C is 4.18 MW & BUS-D is 4.79 MW. I don't think this difference of active power can cause of this issue. 

Please find the attached SLD of our switchgear. Kindly please go through the above case & share your valuable comments. 

Parents
  • This all begs the question of WHY are you trying to close both bus-bars at the same time to create a ring? It's inevitably going to create problems that could be simply avoided by sticking to a simple radial (if reconfigurable) layout.

I suspect Mike's approach is to effectively treat the pair of cables as a single circuit - so if there's an earth fault on one of the cables, the detection system will not be able to tell which cable the fault is on and both will have to be disconnected - which while safe, possibly undermines the purpose of having two separately switchable cables in the first place (e.g. for resilience).

- Andy.

• This all begs the question of WHY are you trying to close both bus-bars at the same time to create a ring? It's inevitably going to create problems that could be simply avoided by sticking to a simple radial (if reconfigurable) layout.

I suspect Mike's approach is to effectively treat the pair of cables as a single circuit - so if there's an earth fault on one of the cables, the detection system will not be able to tell which cable the fault is on and both will have to be disconnected - which while safe, possibly undermines the purpose of having two separately switchable cables in the first place (e.g. for resilience).

- Andy.

Children
No Data