INSULATE BRITAIN. What does that mean?

This has been the cry of activists who obstruct traffic by glueing themselves to roads and creating general havoc. Some may admire their motives in consideration for future generations, as we adapt to abolishing the usage of fossil fuels. However making a confounded nuisance of onself is not the way to make friends and influence people.

In any case the message is very broad and unclear. What exactly is the course of action that the government is being demanded to take?

When I moved in to my present house, it had cavity insulation, double glazing all round and loft insulation. I found that the loft insulation was thin and inadequate, so I augmented it to meet the recommended standards of the time (about 30 years ago). Ostensibly it ticks the most-important boxes. However I have no doubt that a surveyor could suggest further improvements. Have standards for loft insulation been raised further? (If so, a lot of upheaval.) How about fitting a draught-proof letterbox? Could we improve the sealing round some doors and windows? And so on.

Over the years I discovered a problem that creates a much bigger heat loss than any of these latter-day remedies would save. Upon lifting floor boards to run wires, I was appalled to find no insulation on any of the pipes carrying hot water. I surveyed to house to estimate the likely total length of central heating pipe. I calculated the surface area to be roughly equivalent to a largish radiator. That is well over a kilowatt of wasted heat. Little of this heat is likely to find its way through boards and carpets into the rooms above. Most of it will be blown away through air bricks. It would have been easy enough to install this insulation along with the pipework, but to add it retrospectively would be prohibitively disruptive and expensive.

In my opinion, any pipe carrying hot water for any purpose should be insulated. The only exception would be pipes above floor level leading directly into radiators. I hear little in the media about the importance of pipe insulation, but plenty about things like not leaving the TV on standby, saving about a watt.

We can also consider pipes carrying hot water to taps. We are familiar with the frequent need to run off cold water to reach the hot. This represents wastage of water, energy and time. I did some checks in a washroom handbasin. I measured seven litres of water run off before hot water emerged. I also checked how much hot water would pass if I cleaned my teeth with the tap running. One litre! Again the common energy saving advice focuses on the wrong targets. When our kitchen was refitted, hot pipes were temporarily exposed. I took the opportunity to insulate them. This made a notable difference in how often cold water needed to be run off from the kitchen hot tap.

I have little doubt that new houses are being built with standards of insulation far higher than can be achieved by my own. Older housing will continue to exist for very many years. We will need to accept that we need to strive to produce enough renewable energy to cover the unavoidable losses due to the poorer insulation of older houses.

Parents
  • Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I agree with Andy Jewsbury that uninsulated heating pipes are less of an issue on upper floors. Nevertheless it is desirable to control heat rather than have it leak in to places where it may not be needed. In general, do not heat unoccupied rooms. Some heat will always drift into these from heated rooms anyway. It is desirable to have bedrooms somewhat cooler than living rooms, from the aspect of both overnight comfort and economy.

Chris Pearson mentioned a problem of water from the cold tap becoming hot and needing to be run off. This represents wastage not only in the water itself but of the heat energy that has unwantedly leaked into it. I know of a large building where a cold tap needs to be run for about two minutes before it becomes properly cold. The building is only about ten years old. So much for recent local by-laws!

Our house has a flat-roofed rear extension. It is insulated in the space above the ceilings. Recent replacement of two ceilings gave an opportunity to improve the insulation, which was "patchy" in places, causing damp patches.

Simon Barker and Mike make some interesting sociological points. I have rented accommodation myself in the past and am well aware how restricting this can be in getting things done to the property. As for freehold owners, let us not stereotype too much. Many such owners are struggling, e.g. youngish couples with a hefty mortgage and kids to support. I am a pensioner myself, but, with a career in engineering behind me and "late" retirement, I am not so poor that I cannot afford a bit of insulation here and there. The overriding issue is disruption involved in adding extra insulation, especially piping. Loft insulation upgrade, if required, is best done soon after moving in, as I did. In time, lofts tend to become cluttered, making this process more difficult.

So what ideas is the government going to come up with? At present I believe that top of its mind is how on earth to win the election in autumn next year.  Hence, back to my original point - we need to accept that we will not achieve perfect insulation and need to produce enough renewable energy to cover the losses.

• Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I agree with Andy Jewsbury that uninsulated heating pipes are less of an issue on upper floors. Nevertheless it is desirable to control heat rather than have it leak in to places where it may not be needed. In general, do not heat unoccupied rooms. Some heat will always drift into these from heated rooms anyway. It is desirable to have bedrooms somewhat cooler than living rooms, from the aspect of both overnight comfort and economy.

Chris Pearson mentioned a problem of water from the cold tap becoming hot and needing to be run off. This represents wastage not only in the water itself but of the heat energy that has unwantedly leaked into it. I know of a large building where a cold tap needs to be run for about two minutes before it becomes properly cold. The building is only about ten years old. So much for recent local by-laws!

Our house has a flat-roofed rear extension. It is insulated in the space above the ceilings. Recent replacement of two ceilings gave an opportunity to improve the insulation, which was "patchy" in places, causing damp patches.

Simon Barker and Mike make some interesting sociological points. I have rented accommodation myself in the past and am well aware how restricting this can be in getting things done to the property. As for freehold owners, let us not stereotype too much. Many such owners are struggling, e.g. youngish couples with a hefty mortgage and kids to support. I am a pensioner myself, but, with a career in engineering behind me and "late" retirement, I am not so poor that I cannot afford a bit of insulation here and there. The overriding issue is disruption involved in adding extra insulation, especially piping. Loft insulation upgrade, if required, is best done soon after moving in, as I did. In time, lofts tend to become cluttered, making this process more difficult.

So what ideas is the government going to come up with? At present I believe that top of its mind is how on earth to win the election in autumn next year.  Hence, back to my original point - we need to accept that we will not achieve perfect insulation and need to produce enough renewable energy to cover the losses.

Children
No Data