Fourth Industrial Revolution - One of the UK's Industrial Strategy Grand Challenges AI & ML

There is a case for change and championing innovation. As you would expect the fourth Industrial revolution is driven by exciting innovation, fusing technologies, such as AI, gene editing and advanced robotics. It will disrupt every industry and create challenges for people and businesses to respond too. 

The application of AI in everyday business is already adding benefit and productivity. It is essential to drive innovation by experimenting with technologies and considering how they could, or should, be applied to solve real-world problems. AI is not new, and we are on a journey. There are limitations and challenges and the IET AI TN webinars show real examples of these, but not to be disillusioned by this.

The ‘AI Hype cycle’ considers four main AI categories: data-centric, model-centric, applications-centric and human centric. It identifies the innovations in AI technology and techniques. I think it would have been better to show a technology roadmap of the range of AI technologies and that they can provide holistic short to long-term economic, social benefits and minimize negative outlook. 

Some of the areas the IET AI TN are considering are:  

1. AI applications.
  2. Developing and implementing a robust, whole system engineering plan for AI (Responsible & Ethical).
  3. Provide clear guidance on the ‘human in the loop’ decision making and the AI limitations.
  4. AI resilience and security in its transition to ‘UK AI Secure’.
  5. Incentivize local industrial initiatives by reviewing the potential barriers of AI
  6. UK at the forefront of AI and data revolution

What are your thoughts?  Is the evolution of AI technologies too fast or too slow?  To what extent does the AI hype cycle fall short? 

Parents
  • Hi Elise,

I've just sent you a contact request on LinkedIn as this potentially ties in very much with a public research project I'm leading in the day job, potentially a good opportunity to help each other. If that doesn't work perhaps we could find another way to make contact.

Thanks,

Andy

• Hi Elise,

I've just sent you a contact request on LinkedIn as this potentially ties in very much with a public research project I'm leading in the day job, potentially a good opportunity to help each other. If that doesn't work perhaps we could find another way to make contact.

Thanks,

Andy

Children