Emergency Diesel Generator Set Neutral Earthing

Hello All,

I am currently working in a project where the main supply source (MV/LV transformers) neutral point is isolated from earth (Through very high resistance), hence IT earthing system is adopted for the electrical network. Beside the main source, an emergency diesel generator set is provided and connected to the same network to supply the critical loads in case of main power cut off/failure. Generally, when selecting the earthing system for generator neutral point, I follow the same system applied for the main source. But, I have read some advices which states that it's not preferable to go with IT systems with generator sets, nothing concrete, but I don't feel confident adopting such solution as I personally never experienced such system with a generator.

The question is : Is it safe to Isolate the neutral point of the generator set -following the main source earthing system-? If no, is it allowable to propose two different earthing systems within the same network, one at normal operation and the other at Emergency operation ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Parents Reply Children
No Data