Replacing electric locomotives with diesels due to cost

There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking/government Frowning2

• Ah yes ! According to Wikipedia, the Vectron has a width of 3.0 m and a height of 4.12 m, while the UK’s loading gauge has a maximum width of 2.75 m and a maximum height of 3.66 m. Therefore, the Vectron would need to undergo some changes or adjustments to meet the British requirements, which could raise the cost and complexity of the project.

• Another challenge for the Vectron locomotive is to get official approval from the UK’s safety authority, which is not an easy process. The approval process could take a long time, depending on the technical and regulatory requirements and challenges. For example, the Class 99 was ordered by GB Railfreight in April 2022, but it is expected to begin service in 2025. That means a three-year gap between ordering and operating the locomotives.

• Which has reminded me that, now I'm back from my holidays, I'm supposed to be preparing an IET LN talk on why it takes so long to get new products approved for the UK rail network! (Although my talk will be on the infrastructure / signalling side rather than rolling stock.)

• Good luck! I suppose With a history that spans over two centuries and a legacy of diverse standards, regulations, and specifications, the UK rail network is among the world’s oldest and most intricate. New products, such as infrastructure or signalling systems, will need to go through a thorough and extensive approval process to make sure they are suitable, compatible, reliable, and safe.

• will need to go through a thorough and extensive approval process to make sure they are suitable, compatible, reliable, and safe.

Welcome to my world!

• Meanwhile if you want railway companies to compete in a truly capitalist way, then govt and others should not be too surprised if they do.

Nice one Mike. Market forces rule, OK!

• hi everyone,

In turn, the electric locomotive operates on electrical energy obtained as a result of a current network supply. They do not have their own motor and are quiet and environmentally friendly. Thanks to advanced technologies and high energy efficiency, electric locomotives have become widely used in rail transport. The benefits depend on the power grid, unlike an electric locomotive that can be used with a diesel diameter in remote parts of the track.

• Sorry bit late, but that isnt a heavy haul freight train is it.

• No, the TfW train isn't, my guess is that we'll see hydrogen trains before we see hybrids on heavy freight. But first we'll see bi-modes https://www.railtech.com/rolling-stock/2022/04/29/stadlers-class-99-set-for-uk-debut-following-deal-with-leasing-company/