Standards for Medical Locations: BS 7671, HTM 06-02, NFPA 99, and IEC 60364-7-710

I’m curious about how the electrical safety standards for medical locations in the UK differ from those of other countries or regions. For example, do you know anything about the [NFPA 99] standard in the USA or the [IEC 60364-7-710] standard in Europe? How do they compare with the BS 7671 and HTM 06-02 standards in the UK? Do they have any advantages or disadvantages?

Parents
  • Not really my area, but more as a point of order - BS 7671 section 710 will be based on IEC/HD 60364-7-710 (or at least the 2012/2013 edition according to page 15 of BS 7671) likewise other European countries will similarly 'take into account the technical substance' of 60364-7-710 into the appropriate section of the their own national wiring standards (e.g. NF C15-100 in France or DIN VDE 0100  in Germany) - so both in BS 7671 land and elsewhere the exact requirements might differ a little from 60364-7-710 itself. As far as I know nowhere does 60364-7-710 apply directly.

Also I think it was mentioned recently that the HTMs don't apply to the entire UK - each of the devolved countries (England, Wales, Scotland and NI) have their own potentially differing versions.

- Andy.

• Your comments are appreciated. BS 7671 section 710 is influenced by IEC/HD 60364-7-710, but not a carbon copy of it. As you observed, different European countries may have slightly diverse standards based on their national wiring rules. However, I still think it is advantageous to refer to the international standard as a common framework for comparison and discussion. You also highlighted that the HTMs (Health Technical Memoranda) are only relevant to England, not the entire UK. This is true, as each of the devolved countries has their own guidance documents for healthcare facilities. For example, Scotland has the SHTMs (Scottish Health Technical Memoranda), Wales has the WHCs (Welsh Health Circulars), and Northern Ireland has the HBNs (Health Building Notes). These documents may have some variations from the HTMs, but they are generally in line with them and follow the same principles.

• Your comments are appreciated. BS 7671 section 710 is influenced by IEC/HD 60364-7-710, but not a carbon copy of it. As you observed, different European countries may have slightly diverse standards based on their national wiring rules. However, I still think it is advantageous to refer to the international standard as a common framework for comparison and discussion. You also highlighted that the HTMs (Health Technical Memoranda) are only relevant to England, not the entire UK. This is true, as each of the devolved countries has their own guidance documents for healthcare facilities. For example, Scotland has the SHTMs (Scottish Health Technical Memoranda), Wales has the WHCs (Welsh Health Circulars), and Northern Ireland has the HBNs (Health Building Notes). These documents may have some variations from the HTMs, but they are generally in line with them and follow the same principles.

Children
No Data