Does the emergence of AI signal the end of the Project Manager?

The author suggests not. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is not a project manager in the sense of being a human being. AI can assist in various project management tasks by providing information, generating reports, analysing data, and even suggesting possible strategies from predefined parameters. I suggest that AI is not, and currently cannot be, a replacement for a human project manager.

Human project managers bring a range of skills to the table, such as decision-making, leadership, communication, and the ability to understand and navigate complex interpersonal dynamics. While AI can automate certain tasks and offer insights, it lacks the emotional intelligence and contextual understanding that human project managers possess.

AI can be a valuable tool for project managers, enhancing their capabilities and efficiency, but it cannot fully replace the role of a skilled human manager. The most effective approach often involves a collaboration between human project managers and AI tools to achieve optimal results.

So does the emergence of AI signal the end of the Project Manager? Let's discuss.

Parents
  • I'm include to agree, augment not replace - what is always needed is the technically informed project manager combined with some diplomacy skills. That comes with experience.

I already see computerization, of which AI is just the latest phase creeping in to do the repetitive stuff - it already creates project plans, but in unskilled hands these can easily become so much rubbish in so much beautifully presented rubbish out.

The ability to recognise similar previous projects and say ' aha the last time on project xx we overran by six weeks and had a penalty payment of XX because we missed a thing - this time we should allow for it' is the sort of thing that a grey haired human does very well - but a machine can be trained on hundreds of past projects, not just one lifetimes worth.

M.

• I tend to agree with you.  I find that I am using AI more each day.  One particular application that I use it for is Learning From Experience.  It provides valuable insights and trends which can then be used to inform project risk registers but as always it is only as good as the data that can be mined.  It becomes therefore essential to conduct adequate, and dare I say, honest LfE sessions throughout the project lifecycle.  I find here comes the overlap with the Quality Management Body of Management and Six Sigma methodologies.  Correct and robust root cause analysis using such tools as ISHIKAWA and 5 Whys, with proper data entry enable the collection and assimilation of lessons learned that can be consulted using AI algorithms.  

L

• I tend to agree with you.  I find that I am using AI more each day.  One particular application that I use it for is Learning From Experience.  It provides valuable insights and trends which can then be used to inform project risk registers but as always it is only as good as the data that can be mined.  It becomes therefore essential to conduct adequate, and dare I say, honest LfE sessions throughout the project lifecycle.  I find here comes the overlap with the Quality Management Body of Management and Six Sigma methodologies.  Correct and robust root cause analysis using such tools as ISHIKAWA and 5 Whys, with proper data entry enable the collection and assimilation of lessons learned that can be consulted using AI algorithms.  

L

Children
No Data