Sustainable Green Transition

An interesting piece in the Engineer:

The Engineer - Green transition mineral demands under scrutiny

I wonder if some real numbers will come out of this? 

'According to the WRF and Empa, the extraction and processing of material resources is responsible for 90 per cent of biodiversity loss, 50 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions and 30 per cent of air pollution impacts. The energy transition and growth in the infrastructure stock globally risk making environmental challenges even more acute.'

Renewable energy sources require a lot of resources.

Parents
  • I would like to inquire whether Empa’s collaborations with certain fossil fuel companies could have any influence on its research agenda. Empa is a research institute that focuses on applied materials sciences and technology, and it receives most of its funding from the Swiss government. However, it also has various industrial partners, some of which are involved in fossil fuel production or consumption, such as Shell, BP, Total, ABB, Siemens, and others. Could this pose a potential conflict of interest or bias for Empa?

• I would like to inquire whether Empa’s collaborations with certain fossil fuel companies could have any influence on its research agenda. Empa is a research institute that focuses on applied materials sciences and technology, and it receives most of its funding from the Swiss government. However, it also has various industrial partners, some of which are involved in fossil fuel production or consumption, such as Shell, BP, Total, ABB, Siemens, and others. Could this pose a potential conflict of interest or bias for Empa?

Children
No Data