Rotary UPS versus Backup Generators and Static UPS

I want to examine the comparative merits of Rotary UPS versus Backup Generators and Static UPS as methods of providing emergency power supply for healthcare facilities.

Parents
  • Well gensets do not require annual load bank tests. I assume your organization, or rather their insurers, have decided that is required.

We have gensets and UPS, and the gensets are run (by effectively removing power to the site, or at least parts of it) on a regular basis. I think we now also have a fuel polishing loop, where the tanked fuel is pumped out filtered and put back, less any water and rust, but I'm none too sure of the detail

A DRUPS has a lot of the same elements, except that the maintained load is effectively on genset all the time, as the generating part spins non-stop - being in effect spun by motor from the external supply. The key point is that there is nothing to spin-up, in fact energy in the already flywheel starts the diesel.

However that is a heavyweight solution, being a motor and gensst and diesel, so probably needing its own hanger for all but the smallest installation. I'm not sure of the smallest rotary UPS, but I do not think I have ever seen one below 1MW - containerised ones are available - I have never had anything to do with one, though these chaps claim 100kW is possible

But all the same sort of regular checks of the diesel part are needed, and it is further complicated by the fact that you cannot stop it turning without losing your UPS,

Mike.

• Well gensets do not require annual load bank tests. I assume your organization, or rather their insurers, have decided that is required.

We have gensets and UPS, and the gensets are run (by effectively removing power to the site, or at least parts of it) on a regular basis. I think we now also have a fuel polishing loop, where the tanked fuel is pumped out filtered and put back, less any water and rust, but I'm none too sure of the detail

A DRUPS has a lot of the same elements, except that the maintained load is effectively on genset all the time, as the generating part spins non-stop - being in effect spun by motor from the external supply. The key point is that there is nothing to spin-up, in fact energy in the already flywheel starts the diesel.

However that is a heavyweight solution, being a motor and gensst and diesel, so probably needing its own hanger for all but the smallest installation. I'm not sure of the smallest rotary UPS, but I do not think I have ever seen one below 1MW - containerised ones are available - I have never had anything to do with one, though these chaps claim 100kW is possible

But all the same sort of regular checks of the diesel part are needed, and it is further complicated by the fact that you cannot stop it turning without losing your UPS,

Mike.

Children
No Data