Can AI help make strategic battlefield decisions?

With reference to the article by Joe Phelan

DARPA is funding AI to help make battlefield decisions (msn.com).

Is the AI actually making the battlefield decisions or just filling in the 'missing' data and therefore the human making a better informed decision? What are your thoughts?

Parents
  • This would be a great question to pose to Chat GPT.  Can AI understand where it's weakness are and try and improve them? 

I tuely believe that technology/engineering can makes our lives better.  AI is just an extension of that and as an assistant it will help enhance our lifes or job role.  Can it or will it ever replace me, well NO.  I am what I am.  I am unique.  

There are many examples of people following the lead of technology and getting stuck.  Satnav that tell people to drive into the sea and such.  At what point did the human realise that they were driving into the sea, just before they enter, when they are waist deep, or neck deep?  Conversely ask AI to help improve your CV and it can give some fantastic suggestions for you the human to review and use wholly or in part there of.

So my answer to the question above is

Can Ai make battlefield decisions.  No

Should it be allowed to make battlefield decisions.  NO

just filling in the 'missing' data and therefore the human making a better informed decision.   YES

A well trained Army/Navy/Airforce with the assistance of AI will have a significant tactical advantage over an enemy in the standard battlespace. 

Remember that the security of your AI is now entering the battlespace and some future warfare will consist off the shutdown of remote systems to gain the tactical advantage.  As a scenario consider somewhere like Sizewell or Hinckley Point being taken off line and shut down by a computer virus (other nasties are avaiable). 

Consider your AI being taken off line or shut down when you need it the most, hence the need still remains for highly trainied and experience military personnel

• This would be a great question to pose to Chat GPT.  Can AI understand where it's weakness are and try and improve them? 

I tuely believe that technology/engineering can makes our lives better.  AI is just an extension of that and as an assistant it will help enhance our lifes or job role.  Can it or will it ever replace me, well NO.  I am what I am.  I am unique.  

There are many examples of people following the lead of technology and getting stuck.  Satnav that tell people to drive into the sea and such.  At what point did the human realise that they were driving into the sea, just before they enter, when they are waist deep, or neck deep?  Conversely ask AI to help improve your CV and it can give some fantastic suggestions for you the human to review and use wholly or in part there of.

So my answer to the question above is

Can Ai make battlefield decisions.  No

Should it be allowed to make battlefield decisions.  NO

just filling in the 'missing' data and therefore the human making a better informed decision.   YES

A well trained Army/Navy/Airforce with the assistance of AI will have a significant tactical advantage over an enemy in the standard battlespace. 

Remember that the security of your AI is now entering the battlespace and some future warfare will consist off the shutdown of remote systems to gain the tactical advantage.  As a scenario consider somewhere like Sizewell or Hinckley Point being taken off line and shut down by a computer virus (other nasties are avaiable). 

Consider your AI being taken off line or shut down when you need it the most, hence the need still remains for highly trainied and experience military personnel

Children
  • I completely agree! When it comes to battlefield decisions, there is a consensus that AI should not be authorized to make such determinations. In the standard battlespace, a proficient military equipped with AI support can gain a substantial tactical edge over adversaries. Nevertheless, as you astutely highlighted, there are potential hazards linked to an excessive reliance on AI. The security of AI systems is an escalating concern, as these systems are susceptible to hacking or malicious shutdowns.