Runaway Electric Car

An interesting  report on a significant software failure in an EV:

'I was kidnapped by my runaway electric car' - BBC News

"Soon after he made the call, three police vehicles arrived and drove in front and behind the car.

He said: "I was 100% concentrating on my steering, so when a police van pulled up besides me and asked if I was Brian and if I was okay, I just yelled 'no I'm not, I can't stop'."

Police asked Mr Morrison to throw his electronic key through their van window before driving off, and then tried forcibly shutting off the engine - but nothing could stop the car.

He was also asked to hold the power button for a couple of seconds which also failed to stop it and the entire dashboard lit up with faults."

So drive by wire and brake by wire both apparently failed. The steering which I assume is mechanical with power assistance remained functional. I wonder how this fits with the 'Motor Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations'?

Should EV's have emergency shutdown buttons like trams do?

Parents
  • "I strongly suspect that the bit that went wrong was between the ears"

Having suffered brake failure in a conventional car - a long time ago now, before dual circuit hydraulics,  (and coming down a hill into Great Malvern of all places) the loss of control is truly scary, even with  gears to slow down on and a handbrake to bounce and slither to a halt in neutral half on the kerb.. *

I can well imagine that when neither of those options is there, it is very difficult to stay calm - he may not have done the ideal thing, but the fact there is no standardised  shut off method is not helpful.

* I've also had the cat under the pedals thing as well... it may be more common than you think.

Mike.

• "I strongly suspect that the bit that went wrong was between the ears"

Having suffered brake failure in a conventional car - a long time ago now, before dual circuit hydraulics,  (and coming down a hill into Great Malvern of all places) the loss of control is truly scary, even with  gears to slow down on and a handbrake to bounce and slither to a halt in neutral half on the kerb.. *

I can well imagine that when neither of those options is there, it is very difficult to stay calm - he may not have done the ideal thing, but the fact there is no standardised  shut off method is not helpful.

* I've also had the cat under the pedals thing as well... it may be more common than you think.

Mike.

Children
  • I have encountered a number of people who drive EVs (or hybrids perhaps) who claim that there is only one pedal.

It may be that in this case, the regenerative braking system failed and it did not occur to the driver that there is also a foot brake. Failure of two major systems at the same time seems unlikely.

It is also possible that the driver believed that he had operated the brake, but when it did not work as expected, he did not change his train of thought. I am sure that there is a name for such behaviour, but it eludes me right now.

The car was described as, "brand new", so the driver may not have been as accustomed to its controls as he should have been.

For me, it is brain fade rather than brake fade.

(I have never had complete brake failure, but I was once towing 1½ tons of Rover 110 on a (hired) trailer when somebody pulled out in front of me and I had to apply the brakes sharpish. The trailer's brake cable snapped and thereafter I had to tow 2 tons or so of unbraked load. Very carefully!)

• It is also possible that the driver believed that he had operated the brake, but when it did not work as expected, he did not change his train of thought. I am sure that there is a name for such behaviour, but it eludes me right now.

In the 1980’s our family car was a Daff 44.  For those not familiar this had an 850cc air cooled flat twin engine and had the continuously variable transmission based on rubber belts in a cone system.  And a centrifugal clutch that slipped at low speeds (I tended to go for unusual cars), very simple control lever, forward to go forward, neutral when stopped and back for reverse.  My scary experience came with the family on board, going up Porlock Hill (a very steep hill in Somerset, 1 in 4 in places) and encountering a heavy goods vehicle going very slowly on one of the steepest parts.  To avoid the “slipping clutch” I pulled into a refuge at the side and waited for the lorry to clear.

On restarting, I kept going back as soon as I released the brake.  I assumed that the clutch was unable to “bite” enough with such a load.  I was running out of refuge, the children started to panic when I realised that I had selected reverse!  It is not difficult to get into the wrong mind-set under stress.  It made enough of an impression on the children (now in their 50’s) to be raised from time to time as one of their childhood incidents.

David