Lane Keeping Assist

We have just replaced our 15 year old VW Touran diesel with a T-Cross 1.0 TSi. This is, as all new cars, fitted with lane keeping assist. I was wondering what would happen if it got confused? Could I, or my wife, fight it and win. Looking at the Bosch variant it either uses the electric power steering, if fitted, or brakes individual wheels using the ESP.

https://www.bosch-mobility.com/en/solutions/assistance-systems/lane-keeping-assist/

“Lane keeping assist uses a video camera to detect the lane markings ahead of the vehicle and to monitor the vehicle's position in its lane. If the vehicle’s distance to the lane markings falls below a defined minimum, the system steps in. In vehicles with electric power steering, it gently, but noticeably countersteers in order to keep the vehicle in the lane. In vehicles without electric power steering, it achieves the same effect by utilizing the electronic stability program (ESP®) to brake individual wheels.

Drivers can override the function at all times, so they retain control of the vehicle. If they activate the turn signal in order to intentionally change lanes or turn, the system does not intervene.”

I am fairly happy with these various assist systems so long as the appropriate risk assessment and performance level calculations have been carried out, so not designed like the Boing anti stall system.

Some while ago I started a thread on EVs apparently becoming immobilised due to battery or other failures.

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/28694/evs-immobilised-by-flat-batteries-or-breakdowns

The new car has a DSG transmission and the selector lever is locked in Park when the ignition is switched off. It requires 12V to be available to release it, so flat battery and the car is immobilized. Reading deeply in the handbook it can be released with a screwdriver (supplied with the car but buried under the spare wheel) by opening a flap in front of the (conventional) hand brake lever. Who, other than an Aspergers spectrum engineer, would actually look that up?

Parents
  • North Wales Expressway A55 dual carriageway, heading east. 

What is the speed limit here for a commercial vehicle, such as a Transit van?

• Transit is not a car-derived chassis, so presumably 60, or it would be in England. In Wales I assume 20 ;-)

Mike

• Transit is not a car-derived chassis, so presumably 60, or it would be in England. In Wales I assume 20 ;-)

Mike

Children
  • Preceding it is a 50 mph section with a speed camera van often hidden on top of a high retaining wall behind a metal palling fence. 

Further on it is signed as National Speed Limit. 

So, do motorway speed limits apply in-between in this 70 mph section, are vans allowed to do 70 mph, because it's not National Speed Limit?

My new car reads roadside speed limit signs and displays what it sees on the dashboard and is generally accurate.  But it doesn't alter the speed of the car, unlike higher specification versions of the car.

This technology must surely cause all sorts of issues if installed in commercial vehicles?