NHS Production System (NHSps)

An NHS Production System is evolving. Help is requested from interested Production Engineers:

Poster can be viewed on line here: https://catmalvern.co.uk/Lectures/Posters/

• No because no Trusts have adopted this system in the UK. A number have, and some still are, working with the VMI consultants in the UK and one at least is working with Toyota consultants in the UK. I'm sure that will be expensive. I have experience in the UK car industry where elements of the Toyota PS where used. I have 8 years experience of trying to understand how the NHS Process Management - Process Management, via Standard Work is key to this approach.

I am working with individuals from various Trusts looking at how this approach could be adopted.

My aim here is to find IET members that are interesting in developing this approach for our NHS.

• I have done a little research and the final report from the WBS team that is evaluating the partnership is coming out in early 2024. The interim reports show that the partnership has done some good things for the patients and the staff, like shorter waits, safer care, and happier staff. The NHS and VMI also made some of the Trusts more open to change and improvement, with more staff getting involved, feeling empowered, and learning new things. But the NHS and VMI also faced some problems and challenges, like having too many things to do, not enough resources, staff leaving, and people not liking the change. The NHS and VMI also found out some things that helped them succeed, like having strong leaders, a common vision and values, good communication, and outside help.

• Thanks AMK. I've read all the reports and spoken to people first hand. The VM hospitals in the US are very different from our NHS, nevertheless they have some good stuff in their production system. It need a lot of work to make it ok for the NHS. That is what I'm working on. The most important bit is Standard Work and that is the bit they could not interest the NHS in. That is the cornerstone of their PS. I've done and am doing loads of work on that with the NHS. There is, ok course, lots more than just Standard Work. The way things are all their effort will just be wasted on the NHS. Please do not think that your last sentence holds any weight in the wider NHS. It would be nice to keep this conversation going. Did you notice the two question marks in my poster? - Important issues.

• One of the features of Production Systems is level production. On Radio 4 this morning there was a piece on NHS surgery backlogs. A Surgeon was talking about how he had increased weekend theatre capacity. Usually the theatre staff have a wait between patients when the theatre is cleaned and set up for the next patient. To speed up throughput they now prepare a spare theatre during the current patient's surgery so that they can move straight into the pre-prepared theatre with the next patient - and so no. This is an example of 'level production' as included in my poster. I should say that this technique is only possible, at the moment, at weekends where they have spare theatres.

• Could it be argued that doing this requires more resources, such as staff, equipment, and theatres, to operate two theatres concurrently. It also relies on the availability of spare theatres, which may not be feasible during weekdays or peak times as you said. Furthermore, it may not tackle the underlying causes of the NHS surgery backlogs, such as the shortage of staff, funding, and capacity in the health system.

• Process Productivity, effectiveness and efficiency are all underlying causes of NHS backlogs in addition to the issues you list, i.e. staff shortages, funding and capacity. Process Productivity, effectiveness and Effectiveness will all be addressed by an NHSps.

• Thanks for your comment AMK

• Andy, If you click on the illustration then click on 'Zoom in' top left of screen you will see a larger image.

• I wonder if there are any healthcare engineers or estate managers using this forum? I would like to hear their thoughts on the topic of NHS backlogs and how an NHSps could help improve the situation. As you have mentioned, Process Productivity, effectiveness and efficiency are all underlying causes of NHS backlogs in addition to the issues of staff shortages, funding and capacity. I am curious to know how NHSps would work in practice and what challenges or opportunities it would entail.

• I was a Production Engineer working in manufacturing including the car industry. I was a member of the Institute of Production Engineers (IProdE) The IProdE joined forces with the then IEE. Not sure if there are any Production Engineers left in the IET. I was hoping that if there are then they would join this forum. It would be good if any members working in the NHS joined in. The VMIps certainly has worked in practice and VMI Consultants are working with the NHS. I'm sure IET members could provide some very useful imput.