NHS Production System (NHSps)

An NHS Production System is evolving. Help is requested from interested Production Engineers:

Poster can be viewed on line here: https://catmalvern.co.uk/Lectures/Posters/

• ?2 - IT System poster to follow.

• I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't even read that poster (even if I downloaded it and zoomed in). Some of few words I could make out looked looked like Greek to me.

- Andy.

• Andy, Sorry about that. I see what you mean. The actual size is A!. I'm not sure how I can post an actual size image that will fit on the page and be readable. I'll have a go. 

• The way I can get to see it is:

1. Click on the image to open it.
    2. Right click on it and tell your browser to open it in a new tab.
    3. Zoom in on it.

But then it's so big, it doesn't fit on my screen, and I have to scroll around it.

Or use this link: /cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/37/0068.pastedimage1702215961282v1.jpeg

Having done that, it still makes little sense to me, even if I can read the words.

• Thanks for the link Simon. Are you ok with the Toyota Production System diagram, top left? What about GIRFT? Get it right first time. Some detail provided in the key. Unfortunately there is very little engineering input or knowledge into NHS operations. Maybe even less than I thought. I'm hoping that this poster, and an IT System poster to follow, will generate some interest. I think, that with the NHS, we will need a big hammer!

• From what I see you have produced from a document or PDF at 75dpi which can be ok for screen presentation but with such small detail but really you need to output at 150 or ideally 300dpi.

• Thanks Ian, I'll do some experimenting.

• Hello Tom. To state the obvious that reducing costs and delays would please patients and boost staff morale. However, there would always be resistance to change, especially from those who are comfortable with the current ways of working. Lack of resources, support, and incentives to implement the changes.

• Thanks AMK. It's difficult for most to be comfortable with the current ways of working in the NHS. Today's news of more problems with mental health services will emphasise this I'm sure. I do agree though that some are comfortable and they will fight any changes. Nevertheless I do think that change is necessary and it will have to come from outside the NHS. Engineering skills (and other skills of course) are required to make this change. The more of us that understand the technical aspects of healthcare the more chance of that change happening. I don't profess to have the answer but I do want to start the discussion. To date the IET seem to be more interested in other areas of healthcare. Thanks for your interest and please continue with the conversation.

• Do you have any experience in participating in any of the trusts that have adopted this approach?