Independent energy billing to users past the main electricity delivery point

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to bill/invoice points of electricity distribution past the main grid electricity power meter by a different supplier than the main power distributor?

Imagine there is a point where the main electricity supplier delivers from the grid electricity to a customer, this is measured with a digital meter and billed to this main user.

However, past this point the electricity is distributed to more users and some of them would like to have the power supplied and invoiced independently from the main delivery point upstream.

Is there a way to let a downstream user to have his own electricity supplier without changing the electrical distribution network and main power meter, though adding more power meters where necessary?

Parents
  • So an arrangement whereby the downstream customer's meter readings were subtracted from the main customer's readings before the bills were calculated? I've never heard of such an arrangement i the UK and can imagine all kinds of problems - e.g. getting readings from the two meters simultaneously, getting potentially two different energy companies to co-operate in sharing reading, not to mention how the supply might be cut-off if the original user failed to pay their bill but the downstream user was fully paid up.

The usual arrangement is either for separate DNO cables direct to each customer (or the likes of blocks of flats, BNO cabling) so each customer has their own independently metered supply; or a landlord/tenant situation where the landlord's supply is metered and the landlord pays the supplier's bill, and then the landlord can recover costs by privately metering tenant's supplies and billing them accordingly. I think there are rules about how much 'mark up' the landlord is allowed.

- Andy.

• I think there are rules about how much 'mark up' the landlord is allowed.

The maximum mark up is zero. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2003/01/1970-mrp_5.pdf

• Very useful observations and insight about the potential problems.

I suspected that, if there was no evidence of such arrangement, there were good reasons for it. 

Despite that, I wanted to check with the community because It would help a lot if it was possible in some set up. 

Thank you very much for your comments.

Cheers

• Hello Simon, 

Thank you for the pointer to this document giving recommendations on the "mark up" on energy bills

Cheers

• At our marina the electricity has a zero markup but an 'admin' charge is levied.

• Hello Jim,

Thanks for the comment.

How is the metering done at the point of connection to the boat/yacht?

Centrally where the connection is distributed or at the point of connection?

Thank you very much

Gianni 

• At the point of connection to each boat we have 'meters' read  by the marina.  There must be a supply meter centrally for the whole marina too.

Reply Children
No Data